Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Time to test your knowledge on outdrives.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100066-time-test-your-knowledge-outdrives.html)

thisistank 04-06-2005 04:41 PM

Time to test your knowledge on outdrives....

Ok, let's begin.

Someone if anyone (which I'm sure there are some of you out there) can give the correct type and description of all the Bravo drives, starting with the early 90's model. What has changed? What is different (i.e. XR, ITS, etc. etc.)

For the bonus round:

What are all the years and descriptions of the speed master drives.

Ok, go!!

MrCIG 04-06-2005 07:16 PM

Re: Time to test your knowledge on outdrives....

KONRAD!!!!!!!!!!

sorry I had to b before Biggus and Lofty got here

Mark

X-Rated30 04-06-2005 07:18 PM

They are all MayPops until you get to a six or surface drive. :cool:

X-Rated30 04-06-2005 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by MrCIG
KONRAD!!!!!!!!!!

sorry I had to b before Biggus and Lofty got here

Mark

Or maybe a Konrad. :D

thisistank 04-06-2005 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by KaamaScarab30
They are all MayPops until you get to a six or surface drive. :cool:

Even #3A's, 4's and 5's??? I don't know about that.

Waterfoul 04-06-2005 08:47 PM

Well Tank, I know plenty of guys who have destroyed 3,4,5,and 6 drives. I have yet to see anyone blow up an ASD though... but personally, I only know two people who have them.

thisistank 04-06-2005 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
Well Tank, I know plenty of guys who have destroyed 3,4,5,and 6 drives. I have yet to see anyone blow up an ASD though... but personally, I only know two people who have them.

I'm sure ANYONE can blow up ANYTHING! But my point was this. Put to me by a famous racer, "you have to do something seriously bone-headed to blow a Speed Master". After that he also said, "nothing is bullet proof." :drink:

puder 04-07-2005 03:14 AM

totally non scientific. i coudl be way wrong abtou a few of these but just as i can recall off the top of my head.

bravo 1 1988 intorduction, you know it your run you probably dont; love it but just put up with it

bravo 1 "hp". i believe they starte in the mid 90s, along the way the b1 got upgrades like a stonger transom, drive lube sump and prolly some other goodies. NO more deatilas come to mind

bravo 2 don't know the year intorduced, had a much longer lower unit for use on cruiser that needed the x-dims low

bravo 3, don;t know year, duo counterrotaing prop, For cruisers. i believe the thoery was that more prop=more bite=better cruising speed, ride, and manuverability?

Bravo offshoot, Blackhawk drive. i believe 94 maybe 96??? Based on some bravo 3 guts. I belethe upper internals were the same as a b3, but the lower was WAY different, designed as a surface drive. STill had counterrotating props and only worked well on boats designed to run it.

Bravo X (i forget the secons letter of the first one to come out) a few years back. Partially beefed up Bravo 1/2 step to a Bravo XR drive. Beefed internals.

Bravo XR, shraight cut gears, bigger shafts, stonger casting(design), the "best" perforamnce bravo from Merc. ITS transom, yadda yadda yadda.

Bonus

ssm2, Base dona TRS, Bolts toa TRS transom, SImilar if not teh same upper. Lowers, ar ea tad longer thana TRS and bulet shaped. Stronger thana trs

ssm3, new transom assemblie, stronger than a ssm2, shared parst with an ssm5

ssm4, got me frikkin stumped

ssm5, i believe same trasnom as a ssm3 and same upper but had a wierd shorty lower with long skegs,. prop was higher though

ssm3A, update to 3 stonger better newer, was avilable until recently

ssm6 wet sump, trick heavy duty racing badass drive, we all want em abtou 2% of OSO members can actually afford them, i believe 2 internal shafts and all sorts ultra heavy duty crap like that

ssm6 dry sump, update to old drive, frikkin badass. The dry sump is i believe supposed to rob less power.

ssm7, heard abtou em never saw one, not sure about it at all. Hear dit was basicaly a ssm6 but made for diesels. Could be rumor. I saw an add i think from doller marein for them bakc in the day, but i never even read anything here baotu em.

thisistank 04-07-2005 12:53 PM

Dam Puder, that is impressive!! A question...how can you tell the 3 from the 3A (specifics)? I didn't realize they stopped making the 3A.

I've seen the IV looks identical to the 3A too. How do you tell the difference between them as well, assuming the drive doesn't have the "IV" still on it.

Griff 04-07-2005 02:06 PM

I know the 3A has a larger propshaft than the 3.

3A's no longer available????????????