Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Federal law to require Mufflers on boats???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100170-federal-law-require-mufflers-boats.html)

VIPER7 04-07-2005 07:22 PM

Federal law to require Mufflers on boats????

I heard today that there is a Federal law in congress that will require mufflers on most high performance boats and that it is said that it will be passed. From what I heard the law would go into effect this coming January and all switchable mufflers would be illegal. Does any one else know anything about the Fed muffler issue??????

US1 Fountain 04-07-2005 07:33 PM

Re: Federal law to require Mufflers on boats????

Switchable exhaust, ie silent choice, is illegal here in IN. But have yet to see it inforced. I guess if they did, then I would just have to disable the abilty of it to go to the quiet mode.

Maybe I can just say my boat is not 'high preformance' and is exempt? ;)

OldSchool 04-07-2005 07:36 PM

I'll find out tomorrow when I go to work (at the US Capitol :cool: ) and report back. This is the first that I've heard of this.

Craig

CMG 04-07-2005 07:37 PM

guess I'm keeping my silent thunder swim platform after all

Donzi Corleone 04-07-2005 08:00 PM

You guyz mind as well switch to outboards now!! Its not so bad, I do miss that throaty V8 sound though. NOTHIN LIKE IT

Sean H 04-07-2005 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead
You guyz mind as well switch to outboards now!! Its not so bad, I do miss that throaty V8 sound though. NOTHIN LIKE IT

i already have a weed-eater in my garage thanks... :D :evilb: :D

pm203 04-07-2005 08:41 PM

I think they would pass a motorcycle noise law way before they even thought about boats.

vonwolske 04-07-2005 08:42 PM

This is something that the Feds have no business interfering in the issue.

This is part of the pervasive hammer job the Feds do on people. And of course, Federal crimes have very severe penalties.

The Feds need to stick to national defense type issues. For example the very pressing strategic defense issue of steroids in baseball. What is wrong with these people anyway.

If this is truly in the works, all of us have to write to our Congressmen and really ***** about their meddling.

More of the "Terry's Law" type approach. The "Federal Hammer Job".

baronmarine 04-07-2005 08:48 PM

pm203: i agree with you. i live on a natural beauty road. all hills and curves. those bikes sure are loud but i love to which them go by. i don,t think my gil's would be legal.
todd

Lofty 04-07-2005 08:55 PM

Welcome to California. Boat's 91' and older 91dB, newer 94dB within 500' of shore. Need mufflers? I've got some great deals on GGB's :evilb: