Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need Help Quick on Hydraulic Steering...Please!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100224-need-help-quick-hydraulic-steering-please.html)

gotime34 04-08-2005 04:07 PM

Need Help Quick on Hydraulic Steering...Please!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a hydraulic steering system from Brian Alfrey at XS Performance in september. I know this is sort of waiting till the last minute but I have to install it tomorrow because the "broken" engine came back from warranty and is ready to go in. I want to get the new steering in before the second engine goes back in.

Here is my problem...I have a diagram but lost the written directions, and I can't get a hold of Brian. Can someone give me a quick run through of how to install the new steering? It has the old mercruiser steering...do I bypass the steering rack, plug it, or take it out completely? It is the entire steering system, not the kind that just goes through the old rack. I really want to get this done this weekend, and I already have the two pumps from the drives to the hull installed and done...I just need to do all the rest. I know this is a lot to ask and I am a complete ******* for losing the directions, but I know there are abunch of OSO guys who have done this install. I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks so much in advance.
Matt

US1 Fountain 04-08-2005 05:21 PM

Re: Need Help Quick on Hydraulic Steering...Please!!!

If you are installing full hyd steering, helm and all, then you remove the the old cable, helm, and valve at the transom. Basically everything but the coolor and pump.

If it is an add-on, then all that is still used.

R Addiction 04-08-2005 09:29 PM

Go Time, I've heard good stuff about this system. Send us some pics of the product and the install...interested!! :cool:

Cord 04-09-2005 09:58 AM

US1 got it right. Your diagram is also a good one. Follow that diagram and you'll be ok. When you are snaking the hoses back it' pretty easy to loose track of which is which. I'd recommend marking them with some colored electrical tape. Mark both ends. Then put a small amount of tape on the appropriate steering motor port. Do the same thing with your rams. Things do get interesting when you reverse some of these hoses, so take your time and hook them up right.

US1 Fountain 04-09-2005 10:53 AM

Will you will be just using 1 motors PS pump? Things change a bit if you going to be using PS pumps from both motors.

gotime34 04-09-2005 04:23 PM

US1, Thanks for the help. I am only using one motors PS pump and cooler. I just got back from the boat and am doing pretty well. I took all the old parts out, and changed the hub up on the dash. It fit but I had to take the old one off, but I have to make a customized plate so that the holes from the old steering unit will be covered up on the dash. I am also 2 fittings short, so I will get those parts on monday and put them in monday night and finish running the hoses to finish the whole project up. I'll definately post Pics when its all done. Thanks a bunch for the help.
Matt

zimm17 04-05-2007 01:14 PM

I tried to view this diagram, but the words are too small. Anyone have a higher quality version?

AIR TIME 04-05-2007 01:27 PM

I have not installed mine from them yet it was missing the pump, I hope all the rest is there:rolleyes: . the shaft on my helm is 7/8s and the others use a 3/4:rolleyes: so I had talked to one of the guys at the marina to do it on the side last yr but didn't have the money at the time I am lost looking at it:rolleyes: . good luck and what size did they send you. art

Scarab3DMC 04-05-2007 04:11 PM

I installed a full system from Brian and I love it.. SKramer did too... Its simple to do. Go time..I had the same issue with the Helm I took the Teleflex out and the new helm unit went thru the existing hole. I called Brian and he fabbed up a polished face plate for me at NO CHARGE ! he also modified the steering wheel adapt. and made me a new center button...call him he'll take care of you...I have complete pics of the install they are on my home p.c.:drink: :cool: ..Dave

Offshoreracr 04-05-2007 04:23 PM

I would try and keep the rams level with the hinge pins. It is supposed to help on the pin wear.