Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Outerlimits staged to become a premiere High Perfromance Catamaran Builder >

Outerlimits staged to become a premiere High Perfromance Catamaran Builder

Notices

Outerlimits staged to become a premiere High Perfromance Catamaran Builder

Old 04-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Outerlimits staged to become a premiere High Perfromance Catamaran Builder

Originally Posted by Miller
This should be interesting. Peter may have some competition for the "end all, be all of cats" in the near future. Perhaps he'll even have another competitor enter the market with an even more unique construction technique/design theory...
I will second that.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Outerlimits staged to become a premiere High Perfromance Catamaran Builder

Originally Posted by CMG
10% of $900,000? (do we think OL is going to make one for less) I don't care how much money you have, its friggin rediculous

Hey man...hate the game not the player. Just kidding. I know it's nuts, but you can get insurance.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
Hey man...hate the game not the player. Just kidding. I know it's nuts, but you can get insurance.

naa, I guess I'm just jealous. I'm in sales and would love some of that commi$$ion ($9,000 per OL!)

Last edited by CMG; 04-12-2005 at 08:40 AM. Reason: dunno
Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wwwTOPDJcom
Phone call...... Hi insurance man, Hi I just bought a new Outerlimits and I need insurance, ok hold on, that's a V hull right.
AHHH NO its a CAT. pause..... Ummm Hold on I need to get the adding machine out.
You Vee bottom guys slay me...really!

"Look at us we have cheap insurance...we have cheap insurance...nah nah nah nah nah nah."

"We have no hull speed and our stepped vees are like racing in the rain on a bald tired Porsche...but we have cheap insurance...we have cheap insurance...Nah nah nah nah nah nah!"

"Our boats cost $400,000 but our insurance is $4000 less than yours Nah nah nah nah nah nah!"

Give it a friggen rest already.........

If all I wanted was cheap insurance..... I'd play golf!

T2x..........
Old 04-12-2005, 02:51 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

I believe Platinum has an autoclave, but from what I understand it is not big enough for the cats. So, only the 40 foot v-bottom will be baked. I believe the cats have been laid up by Skater. However, I've been known to be wrong in the past.

This should be interesting. Peter may have some competition for the "end all, be all of cats" in the near future. Perhaps he'll even have another competitor enter the market with an even more unique construction technique/design theory...
To my knowledge all of the Platinums have been built by Skater....without an autoclave. Since Platinums tooling originally came from Ten Cara in Europe...who did use an autoclave at times...that may explain the confusion.

T2x
Old 04-12-2005, 02:54 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jesse James
Seen an awful big oven when I was in Wentzville last.......looked like it could handle about 50,000 dozen choclate chips at once...........you know we love our cookies in the midwest..........
MTI? i thought they had their boats laid up in the great white north somewhere....
Old 04-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Originally Posted by T2x
You Vee bottom guys slay me...really!

"Look at us we have cheap insurance...we have cheap insurance...nah nah nah nah nah nah."

"We have no hull speed and our stepped vees are like racing in the rain on a bald tired Porsche...but we have cheap insurance...we have cheap insurance...Nah nah nah nah nah nah!"

"Our boats cost $400,000 but our insurance is $4000 less than yours Nah nah nah nah nah nah!"

Give it a friggen rest already.........

If all I wanted was cheap insurance..... I'd play golf!

T2x..........

I gotta agree. I have lots of friends with big cats and haven't heard them griping about the insurance they pay. It may be high, but that's what it costs to run one. You shouldn't be buying a supercat if you can't handle the cost of owning it. It's the price you pay to play.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
To my knowledge all of the Platinums have been built by Skater....without an autoclave. Since Platinums tooling originally came from Ten Cara in Europe...who did use an autoclave at times...that may explain the confusion.

T2x
That's probably the confusion. I know Jim Dyke said that they had an autoclave but it couldn't fit the cats, so they were going to have them laid up at Skater. Of course that was in 2000, so I don't know what came of it. Glad to see that you're up to date...which is nice for an obsolete fella such as yourself.

Speaking of which, seems to me that the Numero Uno for labeling you as 'obsolete' seems to have fallen off the performance boat face in the past couple of years. Yet, you're still around. Does this mean you've been around so long, you're now 'new again'??

I'll call you soon.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:52 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jesse James
I still understand that to be correct but they do have a big oven......how long after layup before one can be cooked and have the benefits of being cooked?
The Autoclave process generally involves using "Pre Preg" or pre impregnated material which is laid up cold. After lamination the mold and material are placed in the oven and that initiates the hardening process.......

It is a very costly method but creates very light and very strong pieces....... However they are not bulletproof as a glance at the Callan (Ten Cara) boat after Key West will confirm.

T2x
Old 04-12-2005, 03:54 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Speaking of which, seems to me that the Numero Uno for labeling you as 'obsolete' seems to have fallen off the performance boat face in the past couple of years. Yet, you're still around. Does this mean you've been around so long, you're now 'new again'??
This sport is all about old wine in new bottles.... complete with "wine snobs"..... who can't tell a Merlot from a Mercruiser.

T2x............... The Ancient Mariner

Last edited by T2x; 04-12-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Outerlimits staged to become a premiere High Perfromance Catamaran Builder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.