Boat Titles and Car Dealers

Notices

Boat Titles and Car Dealers

Old 04-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Titles and Car Dealers

Ok I will try to make this very long, and often hiliarious story, short.

Sean and I went to go trade in our Expedition in for another vehicle that gets better gas mileage, because $500/month in gas is killing us. Anyway, we hit a snag with the title (that's the part of the story that I won't get into, we even had to call our very own Officer Troutly to get conformation on what we knew was right). So Sean was in the process of arguing with this goof ball, and said that he might not know cars but in the world of boat sales that handleing titles was a certain way, at which time the salesman proceeded to tell Sean that, "BOATS DON'T HAVE TITLES!"

Now...If boats don't have titles, how do they get state registered, or insured?

If I am wrong someone please correct me, and I will gladly call the man back and apologize for laughing hysterically while he was trying to tell Sean the ins and outs of boat sales. I have never seen Sean get so frustrated, as this man tried to act like Sean knew nothing about boat sales. I thought he was going to snatch his head off his shoulders. IT WAS FUNNY!!!!!

Out of this thread, I'm hoping to get enough responses either to realize that Sean and I don't know what we are talking about, or to print it out and mail it to him and let him know that because he was talking out of his A$$, he lost a sale and subsequent sales after.

Anyway, it was too funny.

And PS...If there are any car salesmen, or former car salesmen/people, that might be willing to help me weed through a little of the BS....Please PM me and I will fill you in a little more, so I'm more prepared for the next outing

Last edited by IceAngel; 04-11-2005 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boat Titles and Car Dealers

Each state is different how they handle boats and titles. The boat starts out with only a Manufacturers Statement of Origin. The MSO is not a title. It is up to the state to issue a title. If you document a boat there is no need in most states to have a title-just some type of proof that you paid taxes to the state. So you are both right-sort of.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:51 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

In VA we have titles. I bought a boat a few years ago in GA and they don't. The owner was from NY and she said (yes female dealership owner) was suprised when she moved down there too.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Registered

nevermind if boats have titles are not, I would have cut the conversation short and found another dealer at the first millisecond of frustation.

Roby
Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Registered

Pa has boat titles. Got mine sitting in a file cabinet for safekeeping.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Registered

Sorry, Terra, but Louisiana doesn't have boat titles either. Nevertheless, that is no reason to let the guy off the hook. Borrow a boat title from someone in a state that does them and then go demand an apology.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered

Michigan has titles.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In tennessee we don't have boat titles but our trailers do. I don't know why. So far it's worked out to my advantage. It won't last long though they're going around taxing the sh*t out of everthing they can think of.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

no boat titles in AZ, makes it tough to put a lien on a boat when all you get is a registration with no spot for lienholder info, have to do a UCC1 filing with the state like you would for a piece of equiptment [ I.E. forklift ] I see lots of fraud in our state for this reason, Im in the repo/remarketing business so I see it all
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

Illinois has boat titles.

Quick Reply: Boat Titles and Car Dealers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.