Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whats the best bottom paint?? >

Whats the best bottom paint??

Notices

Whats the best bottom paint??

Old 04-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Whats the best bottom paint??

The River is fresh water. The season goes from about May 1st to the end of september. I don't know what type of paint is on it, it was on there when I bought the boat 2 years ago. The paint is all chipping apart, so I am going to sand it all off before adding the new paint. Is this going to work ok? Any ideas on paint types?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Gelcoat
Old 04-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VC-17 by Interlux, it is light and very smooth. I have used it with good results.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Registered

Check out Pettit VIVID. At least it comes in a wide variety of coclers and they tell me it will go over almost anything.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I put the expensive chit on my Sea Ray like 90bucks a gallon, I pulled the boat last month, still good. its been on their for two years. I got it at west marine
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Registered

VC Offshore by Interlux is for offshore (fast) boats. It's about $145 a gallon and has teflon in it and is very hard/less copper so it won't slow you down as much as other paints which are softer due to more copper so the growth falls of easier.

I just finished putting on VC Performance Epoxy, but that doesn't have any antifoling agents in it and is rock hard. Won't slow me down at all. But if you use epoxy than the only thing epoxy will stick too is epoxy and the bar fiberglass. It won't stick and hold onto antifouling paint.

Like someone else said here, you really need to find out what was put on it before and stick with that. Or sand it down to the gelcoat and put Interlux 2000 Epoxy Barrier coat and than put Interlux VC Offshore if it sits in the water and VC Performance if it's trailered or rack stored and it will be the closet thing to having it like it came out of the factory. The barrier coat stops water from getting to the fiberglass. THe hole job coast me about $1000 and took me 2 weeks. I had a fiberglass shop estimate it and they wanted $5000 which is what made me do it myself. Wasn't bad.

Last edited by RichardP; 04-13-2005 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for that answer jay bird. You make a good point about getting gas why your cleaning it. That could save a ton of money because on my river its an extra dollar a gallon.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Unfortunately because of the severe fouling conditions that exist out here there is no market for VC-17 but I've always been curious as to how it would work in a fresh water environment.
I wish I could get some of that expensive chit that tomtbone has for $90 a gallon. Average stuff here is $90 a QUART !

If you're going to sand the old stuff off you're certainly moving n the right direction. It's a horrible job though.. make sure you wear a respirator dust particle mask.

Of course any boat that has to have bottom paint on it really should also be barrier coated to begin with.

In the West Marine catalogue (anti-fouling paint section) there is a simplified compatability chart that is easier to wrap your brain around than the one in the Interlux chart.

I hate paint buildup so I always advise with ablative type paints.

The new Petit VIVID line seems to have a bit of all the good stuff in it so it should work well. Interlux and Awlgrip also have given good results when used in the right application.

I would'nt imagine you would need a paint with a high toxin load, although I've never boated in fresh water (just a dream ) but possibly would more likely need a paint with the newer 'biocide package' .

I know there is the fear of lowering the re-sale value of the boat after the bottom is painted (in your part of the world anyway) but if you do it properly and sell it later to someone that will also keep it in the water it should'nt affect the value at all huh ?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just what I was looking for, thanks for all the help guys!!!!