Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Resale with aftermarket motors (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100539-resale-aftermarket-motors.html)

tiufb 04-13-2005 12:01 AM

Resale with aftermarket motors

I'm going to have a new boat built this year, a Velocity VR1, and with the prices of Mercury blue motors, I'm thinking about going aftermarket. Do you guys think a boat with non-Mercury motors will be harder to sell, or take a bigger hit on depreciation? Thanks for the imput.

tomtbone1993 04-13-2005 12:30 AM

Re: Resale with aftermarket motors

I think it depends on who's name is on the motors.

Poorsche 04-13-2005 03:11 AM

Check out MarinePower engines for gas--Yanmar for diesel. They are in Louisiana and made thier name in the oil rig supply boat and bayou fishing world. Thier stuff is bullet-proof and they really know what customer service means.

Mastry in Tampa is distributor and they are racers and Yanmar dealers . First class operation too.

dyno 04-13-2005 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
I think it depends on who's name is on the motors.

YEP! put in some Sterlings you will sell it no problem.

Formula Outlaw 04-13-2005 06:35 AM

I think more and more people are disillusioned with the price that Mercury Racing is charging for their products. There are numerous well know quality engine builders out there who offer similar power packages at MUCH less money.

I would not hesitate on buying a boat that has "other than Blue" motors in it. Just my two cents.

OldSchool 04-13-2005 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A GM engine is a GM engine....If it's built correctly and has the right components for marine use!!!

...just my .02 :cool:

BillR 04-13-2005 06:55 AM

Well when I was looking for a Top Gun, I wouldn't even consider looking for anything other than Merc motors.
I wanted long term turn key reliability and needed to have the local Marine tech be able to work on them and access parts ASAP.

OldSchool 04-13-2005 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BillR
Well when I was looking for a Top Gun, I wouldn't even consider looking for anything other than Merc motors.
I wanted long term turn key reliability and needed to have the local Marine tech be able to work on them and access parts ASAP.

I would have to agree with Bill if the boat is a newer big $$$ boat like his!! I misread the original question. For a new boat, I would want Merc motors.....but I would never buy a new boat!! :p :D :drink:

Stormrider 04-13-2005 07:49 AM

I wouldn't go worrying about resale so quickly... you haven't even enjoyed the boat once yet.
If you are that worried about resale, buy the boat w/ a 496, pickle it, and put in big aftermarket HP, that you will take w/ you to the next boat.
Then sell yours w/ a practically new 496.

pullmytrigger 04-13-2005 09:29 AM

If I was buying new Id see if I could buy the boat with no driveline in it at all........have it installed privately and save a TON of money.......not sure what the bank would think of that though.......but I do know Im getting sick of Mercury