Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   IsThe Ospery An Endangered Species? THEY ARE NOW!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/100893-isthe-ospery-endangered-species-they-now.html)

Shah Mat 04-17-2005 07:44 PM

IsThe Ospery An Endangered Species? THEY ARE NOW!!

3 Attachment(s)
Well, if not, I know of 1 or 2 that are now! (see "Show us you gun" thread)

Had the boat on my dad's lift for a few days to do some trailer work, paint, new bunks, and lights. Looks like these phuckers were making a home to have some babies! :mad: Probably a good thing they didn't get that far cause they are some mean sob's when there are eggs or new-hatched in the nest.

My dad suggested making a 20' high platform for future nests near the water on his property line. I'm wondering if that is a good idea or not. His property line is only about 20 or 30 yards from the entrance to the dock, and like I sad, they can get mean.

I wanted to ride up to Fairview today but 2 1/2 hours cleaning the shlt off the boat made it too late for a Sunday. Check out the white crap.... PROJECTILE POOP!

Dave M 04-17-2005 08:12 PM

Re: IsThe Ospery An Endangered Species? THEY ARE NOW!!

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel about Ospreys having an extremely violent reaction to yellow Checkmates. They usually ignore any other boat. :D

Ted G 04-17-2005 08:13 PM

I think Dad's got a point. If they build one on the platform you will not have another within about a mile. And when they leave the nest, they range pretty far looking for fish and won't hang around the boat.

Shah Mat 04-17-2005 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dave M
I saw a show on the Discovery Channel about Ospreys having an extremely violent reaction to yellow Checkmates. They usually ignore any other boat. :D

Funny, real funny. :D

Did you make it to Fairview today? How was it?

Shah Mat 04-17-2005 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by insptech
I think Dad's got a point. If they build one on the platform you will not have another within about a mile. And when they leave the nest, they range pretty far looking for fish and won't hang around the boat.

Good point Ted, but I'm concerened about walking that close to them to get to the dock. do you think they will bother us walking by? I'd be really worried about my daughter.

OldSchool 04-17-2005 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shah Mat

We did... and it was the most fun that I've ever had at Fairview......EVER!!!!!! :evilb: :drink: :evilb: :drink: :evilb: :drink:

Dave M 04-17-2005 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
Funny, real funny. :D

I didn't make it out today. I already know that I am going to develope a mystery illness at precisely 11:00 am tomorrow. I will have to leave work immediately! :D

Ted G 04-17-2005 08:44 PM

We have a pair that nests in a light where we leave the marina. On my flybridge boat I am maybe 10 feet away at their level. They squawk and jump a little but don't leave the nest. Now they are probably accustomed to boats going by and that may make their behavior different. I bet if you call VA wildlife or Maryland DNR they will probably let you know more than you need to know about the "fish hawks". I personally like them but they don't crap all over my boat :D

masher44 04-17-2005 10:23 PM

Could you imagine how much they would have sh1t out if it were an Apache :evilb: :evilb:

masher44 04-17-2005 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by craig223
We did... and it was the most fun that I've ever had at Fairview......EVER!!!!!! :evilb: :drink: :evilb: :drink: :evilb: :drink:

I lived there in 1997... might not want to mention my name.... :evilb: :evilb: :D :D