Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New to boating, getting big boat and need advice! >

New to boating, getting big boat and need advice!

Notices

New to boating, getting big boat and need advice!

Old 04-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to boating, getting big boat and need advice!

Hello, this is long but hopefully someone can help

I am brand new to boating. I have always had the dream of having a big fishing boat. I've taken two boat safety courses for the hell of it. I have recently stumbled upon an amazing deal that could make my dream a reality, but I need advice on what to do. I also understand that these estimates are extremely rough.

Boat: Winner 28' 1976 Sportfisher with an inboard Chrysler 360 engine

My budget is around $8,000-10,000 for repairs, hauling, and keeping it at the marina.

1. The boat is at a great price and it's 28' long. However, I'm new to boating and somebody told me that it's to big to start with. I'll never be able to afford another boat if I pass up this deal and it happens to be the boat of my dreams. Is it do-able? Can someone learn on 28 feet?

2. The boat was last tested in 2001, and ran fine. Since then it has been untouched and I can not get any info other than everything worked fine last time it was ran. I looked at the engine and it had some orange sluge and a little water in the engine area. Is this ok? I've done some research and a rebuilt engine cost $2000

3. The boat has no trailer and I can not afford one. How much would a hauler cost to move the boat 70 miles to a boat slip?

4. What could happen to a boat that has been sitting outside for 4 years that might need repairs? I've heard something about the gas

5. Given the limited info about the boat (worked when last ran in 2001), how much can I estimate the boat to cost in repairs and maintinence? Aside from how much the boat cost, how much should I add into the boat loan?

Does it sound like this boat is going to cost an extreme amount of money in repairs or should I jump on the opportunity and try to learn with a 28' boat. Please give any advice you can even if I never mentioned I needed it.. I may be forgetting something
Old 04-20-2005, 02:13 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New to boating, getting big boat and need advice!

sitting outside for 4 years? covered?????
1976 boat , you better get an accurate estimate of the work needed.
I bet its not worth what he's asking, A good price means nothing if the repairs cost many times the asking price.
too much trouble for a starter boat. look for something better
just my 2 cents

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 04-20-2005 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

In my opinion, you sould should get something newer.

The size is not a problem. Its the age of the boat and the fact that you have very little info about it. Also, since its your first boat, you won't know how to fix a lot of stuff that will break.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds like a money pit (not that all boats aren't). Like Griff said, get something newer.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Sounds like a money pit (not that all boats aren't). Like Griff said, get something newer.
With a limited budget I would go smaller and newer (something trailer able ) marina, hauling and maint on a older boat will sink you (forgive the pun )But true!Your dream could turn into a nightmare!! I have a customer who has a 29 w/twins he bought on face value.. ran in the fall. Now needs two engines reworked to make usable look long and hard and get what ever you buy surveyed.. and bear in mind even the survey is only that window in time all bets could be off the next time you go out but its worth the money for some peace of mind..
Costs to keep in mind..
1) winterizeing/summerizeing

2)hauling (in and out of the water)

3) fuel!!!!! boating fuel on the water is OMG !!! compaired to street gas

4( mech rates ) 75-110 per hr depending on marina
just a few and the list goes on!

5) Bottom painting length x width x 4.00 - 8.00 depending on product (haul boat and block to do acid wash and pressure wash bottom all extra.. (There is a very big picture Im not trying to scare you)

Last edited by blownincome; 04-20-2005 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Our first was a 27 cruiser, I don't think the length is the problem. The age is however. sitting 4 years....gas is bad, belts hoses,etc. probably bad (it's a 30 year old engine!!!) if it's been in the water the bottom will be blistered. Sounds like a 1 year restore and more than 8K-10K job. Personally I wouldn't let you GIVE it to me.
PS. Whatever you buy, GET A SURVEY!!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run.

Run as fast as you can.

Your post answers it's own question.

You may want to have a boat.... but you don't want that one.

It is an absolute BUYER'S MARKET right now. Be patient, you will find something else that you will actually get to USE before your budget is gone, back is broken, and spirit crushed.

This advice is worth approximately 25 thousand dollars and will also save your health, as the stress from learning every new "issue" on that old boat slowly kills you.

Burn the number of the guy who has the boat. Get free rides from OSO members while you continue to look.

But for God's sake don't rationalize that this is your "only chance to get a 28." BS. You will spend WAY more for that boat in the end when you get it sea worthy than you would have for a different boat. Skip all the work and stress. Keep looking.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I would agree with the rest, the sum of the costs doesnt add up, take the money that you have budgeted for repairs and buy something that is already running and worth it. and get a SURVEY!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:20 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fund razor

This advice is worth approximately 25 thousand dollars and will also save your health

so basically if he evens splits the profit from your advice with you, he still owes you $12,500......

and i agree, run.....

there are plenty of boats on here that are way newer, better condition, faster, come with a trailer and won't cost you more than the boat itself to keep running.... just look around some more, you will find a much better deal.....

and i wouldn't buy a boat with a dodge motor....
Old 04-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with all the above. I was once the victim of a "Free" boat. After several thousand dollars more than my "Free" boat was worth, it was seaworthy.
And one more thing - single inboards are a pain in the azz to dock. Single I/O is a different story.

Quick Reply: New to boating, getting big boat and need advice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.