Notices

Fuel Prices & boating

Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Prices & boating

Will be doing a lot less WFO operating for hours on end, will plan trips and runs in advance. I have never asked for gas money either and rarely accept if offered, unless your out with me EVERY weekend. This year will be different, whether i'd be using the boat or not,, people will need to chip in...

We really loved the lake Champlain run last year but really have to take fuel prices into account this year,,, 500 miles round round trip, 3 tanks of gas for the truck, fill the boat for the run, fill the boat after the run, don't think we'll be able to afford a 650.00 weekend..
Old 04-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Registered

The problem with getting people (that don't own a boat) to chip in is they don't realize how much fuel they boats use. So many times I have been offered $20 bucks for gas, what do you say? Usually I just say no thanks, then biotch about it when my credit card bill comes in. Also alot of my friends/family can't afford to spot me a $100 to go out on my boat, so I either go out by myself and pay the whole bill or take them and pay the whole bill.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cmoney
The problem with getting people (that don't own a boat) to chip in is they don't realize how much fuel they boats use. So many times I have been offered $20 bucks for gas, what do you say? Usually I just say no thanks, then biotch about it when my credit card bill comes in. Also alot of my friends/family can't afford to spot me a $100 to go out on my boat, so I either go out by myself and pay the whole bill or take them and pay the whole bill.
I was at LOTO last summer filling up with 4 girls and another guy. All 4 girls chipped in $20 a piece and the guy chipped in nothing, he conveniently left his billfold back at the condo. Anyway, the extra $80 from the girls helped out a lot. My point is, take all the hand outs you can get. After all, you're the one supplying the boat and the entertainment...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Loan Ranger
The National Marine Manufacturers Association research center has issued the following statements:
1) Boaters will be boaters no matter what happens at the pump - boaters are out on the water to relax and spend time with friends and family and are reluctant to give it up
Well, this is probably true. I've always had a boat and will probably always have one. The question is what kind. I was thinking upgrading to a bigger boat with twin big blocks this summer but with gas approaching $3/gallon I just couldn't do it.

2) Recent research shows fuel prices don't change boating habits - A study conducted by the Recreational Marine Research Center showed that the majority of boaters (56%) didn't change their boating habits based on higher fuel prices last summer
Probably is true for last summer...we'll see if it holds true for this summer. But I think the prices have reached a threshold where the cost of fuel does matter.

3) Gas prices have not impacted boat sales - Wholesale dollar boat sales were up 15.6% in 2004 compared to 2003
[/QUOTE]

Again, true for last year, but what about this year? Hopefully sales will continue, [most? many?] boats are still made in the USA and that helps the local economy.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was tired of the fuel, insurance, and upkeep on my 42 fountain. Ended up getting a new 29' with twin 350's and a slip on the CT river instead of the dry storage. I plan on hanging out more on the river and at my marina than going offshore. Not sure how I will adjust to the different boat but I sure will save some money.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh on the topic of people chipping in, I had a similar experience last summer. I had a guy friend who never chiped in for anything, even when he would see his date helping out, and I just don't mean in gas, food, cleaning, beer.... on and on. So about half way through last summer I just stopped inviting anyone who didn't help out, I have seriously scaled back on who I bring down for the weekend, I mean hell I wish I had a friend that I could go to their lake house ride in their boat, seadoos, eat for free, and sleep in guest rooms all summer, Not to sound to pissed but the free ride is over.

The irony is the ones who never help out have already been calling and e-mailing me wanting to know when they can start coming down again, I just blow them off

As for those friends who have helped out well lets just say we have had fun the last 3 weekends

WILL
Old 04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered

I feel the same way,, the free boat rides ALL summer long are over.

Friend borrowed one of my jet ski's,, said he would pay for the gas, I said sure,,, rode the ski around all day and threw me a 20.00,,, ski has a 15 gallon tank, not to mention the quart of oil it used,, Gee glad I could help you out,, had it been me, I would have offered to pay for both ski's just to be on the water.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered

I've been taking friends out on my boats since I was like 10 years old. Of course my parents paid the expenses but only until I was about 16. I was responsible for the gas, insurance, repairs and other costs. In high school my buddies and I would go skiing in the Boston Whaler every weekend. The boat would run all-day long on $6 in gas and 2 cycle oil. Those were the days. As I bought bigger boats, the costs for everything went up significantly.
I think the one thing to consider is that your non-boat owning friends don't appreciate the time and money that goes into these boats. Few of these folks are available when you want to hang upside down in the bilge to swap out a water pump...
They also don't know how much it really costs to buy, insure, store, maintain and fuel up a boat. I've pretty much given up on asking for donations. But I'll take them if they are offered.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Graffrig has a new fuel consumption gauge showing gph. I'm thinking of mounting it in front of the passengers seating area(s). Won't they be surprised when I hit the throttles and it's reading 85 gph. I just ask to cover only the fuel used on the trip...