Notices

Lake Isabella in SoCal???

Old 04-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lake Isabella in SoCal???

Anyone boat there?
I heard it was 12 miles long and 4 miles wide.
Heading there this weekend to check it out.
Looking to buy a cabin in the area for boating, and hiking.
Comments are welcome (ummm, about the area)....
Thanks! Dave
Old 04-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Lake Isabella in SoCal???

I never heard of that lake.......should be interesting. Let us know what you find out
Old 04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a buetifull area with alot of hiking, dirtbike riding, and kayaking available close by. The lake SUCKS. It gets realy windy every afternoon around 2 pm and i mean realy windy. They discovered some endargerd bird that nests on the shoreline about 10 years ago and ever since they have kept the lake at a very low level to give the birds more room. There are all kinds of rocks and tree stumps sticking out of the water and worse yet there are ALOT that are a foot or less under the surface. I grew up camping out there about 5 times a year and I don't know anyone that hasn't lost a skeg or a prop or something there atleast once. We had one trip that that lake claimed 3 skegs, 5 props, and a jetski all in a week. Other then the lake it is a nice area though.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Yup, Jake's right. I used to go up there every 4th of July with a bunch of friends. I've seen 3-4's when the wind kicks up! Kernville is a nice little town but it gets pretty crowded in the summer time. It's just past the lake on the river. Wofford Flats is the north side of the lake and there's not a lot there. I stopped going several years ago (Usually go to The River now) but my friends were still going until two years ago. Their last trip was pretty bad as the whole area has been invaded with a less than desirable element. They'll never go back again.

Check it out and see if you like it but I'd make quite a few trips before thinking about buying property there.

It's a bit further (about 4 hours) but Naciamento is a much nicer lake. Way bigger and lots of houses on the lake.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great input!

Check out this article that says something like..."Army Corp of Engineers recently granted the right to fill the lake again."

http://www.kvsun.com/articles/2005/0...ews/01lake.txt

Sounds like this might cure many of the broken skeg issues?

More comments?

Thanks...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats pretty cool all though I'm not too thrilled with them spending 7 million of MY tax dollars to pay for some wacko bird that isn't even indegenes to the area anyway. The wind is still a big problem there and as baja said a nice so nice element has decided it is a good camping spot over the last few years(think um-pa music)