Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who uses Tie down straps (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/101700-who-uses-tie-down-straps.html)

Wally 04-26-2005 03:50 PM

Re: Who uses Tie down straps

I once let a buddy who i thought new what he was doing hook up the trailer while i paid the repair bill for some work done......and took off thinking eveything was cool.......went over a set of train track and saw the font of the boat go and easy 2' higher then the back of my truck!!! :eek: for the life of me i dont know how it landed back on the ball of the hitch! But i pulled over and wouldnt ya know it...the reciever lock down was open!!! No one to blame but myself for being to trust worthy of someone else!!! Thank goodness it didnt turn out worse :)

And before that happened i used to never use straps thinking the boat was heavy enough to stay on the trailer......all it took was one time over some rough roads at 65mph and to look back and see daylight under the boat as it was coming up off the trailer to make a believer out of me!!! never again will i go without strapping the back down!!!

Strip Poker 388 04-26-2005 03:58 PM

I have been only using the ratchet straps just on trips. looks like I need to start using them all the time!!.

You never know when something might happen :(

resurrected 04-26-2005 04:14 PM

I am in construction and have had lots of (less expensive/important items than my boat)things leave at the most inopportune moment. I go overboard with tie-downs, now.
-two on the transom
-two on the bow-one pulling foreword
- one pulling aft
I don't know if insurance would cover CSD(common sense deficient) I know I've never gotten the better of an insurance company!

t500hps 04-26-2005 04:56 PM

2 inch 10,000 lbs straps on the rear. I typically look for straps that have a rating that would allow them to pick up the boat I'm hauling. Grew up with bassboats and that just the way it was done!!!

bouyhunter 04-26-2005 05:00 PM

Always straps.
Looked like a fool at the ramp once because I forgot to release the straps (second launch after I bought them) and the boat wouldn't float off the trailer...
Also, If you have work done on your boat that requires a water test by the mechanic before you pick it up, make sure your straps are back on the boat. Lost a set of straps that way before, because I was too anxious to get the boat back in the water that eveing to do a full inspection before towing it away.

Now, go figure, I do all this for the boat, and RARELY wear a seat belt...

ofshore 04-26-2005 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
To get a new boat? :D :D :D

That wont work, I've been trying to loose mine for two years now and the damn old resin bucket won't slide off :mad:

Clay Washington 04-26-2005 05:53 PM

winch, chain, and straps! :D

The Menace 04-26-2005 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly

Winch strap.
Bow safety strap.
Two transom straps.

DITTO!

45sonic 04-26-2005 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by gdfatha

My Ex lady friend never used straps.. :evilb:

Well...except on wrists and ankles.. :eek: :drink:

I was wondering when someone was going in that direction :D:D:D

Bill

Straps all the way baby. Race car axle strap for the bow plus winch cable and 2" strap for the transom. For long distance I add another 2" from the bow eye backwards to the trailer. Kind of pulls from the front towards the rear and the rear towards the front.

mopower 04-26-2005 07:18 PM

winch cable and safety chain , rear ratchet straps, and anything over 10 miles , another ratchet strap bow eye straight down to trailer :cool: