Notices
View Poll Results: Do you use tie down straps?
I use straps AND a safety chain
72.58%
I JUST use a safety chain and winch
13.23%
No straps, No safety chain, just a winch
8.06%
Allan4 is a putz
6.13%
Voters: 310. You may not vote on this poll

Who uses Tie down straps

Old 04-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who uses Tie down straps

Been looking for 2 inch ratchet straps for the transom and for some reason having a tough time finding them. Will start using them soon as I can pick them up.

Both ratchet strap and safety chain (forward and downward) plus the winch strap.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:59 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Been looking for 2 inch ratchet straps for the transom and for some reason having a tough time finding them. Will start using them soon as I can pick them up.

Both ratchet strap and safety chain (forward and downward) plus the winch strap.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/Scripts/default.asp

i get all mine there, for car, boat, bike and trailer...... super high quaility and prompt shipping.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Registered

Sean, thanks, will look them up right now. Russ
Old 04-26-2005, 09:20 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got my rachet staps and winch straps from Warparty (OSO member). They were great and he shipped fast. Joe Murray
Old 04-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw

Ace Hardware...
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Registered

well I have to put some input on this one..for those who need to know...
You can put tie down straps on your boat because it is the law but, the truth is in a real crash situation they wont do ****. In 2000 I had a front tire blow out on my dodge diesel and, I had 4 inch straps the type the big rigs use to tie down there load. one of these straps would prob. lift the boat off the ground. on impact all 3 4inch straps tore like they where toilet paper so, yeah there prob. keep boat on your trailer around town, but when you really need them they wont work anyway. So, my advise pay more attention to the condition of your tires and trailer. so you all in Ft. Lauderdale....
Old 04-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Registered

Bow strap...nothing else. If it takes 10,000lbs of cat off the trailer I don't think a strap was going to stop it anyway!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HerbottRacing
well I have to put some input on this one..for those who need to know...
You can put tie down straps on your boat because it is the law but, the truth is in a real crash situation they wont do ****. In 2000 I had a front tire blow out on my dodge diesel and, I had 4 inch straps the type the big rigs use to tie down there load. one of these straps would prob. lift the boat off the ground. on impact all 3 4inch straps tore like they where toilet paper so, yeah there prob. keep boat on your trailer around town, but when you really need them they wont work anyway. So, my advise pay more attention to the condition of your tires and trailer. so you all in Ft. Lauderdale....
AMEN!!!
While we are on the subject of trailers, how many of you make sure you have a clevis pin in the tongue latch? I was not driving but was with a friend that had a boat and trailer come loose from the truck after towing 50 miles. We know the latch was locked when we left but it still came loose and hit a telephone pole & totaled the boat & trailer. Nothing held, the tie downs broke, the safety chains pulled straight, the only thing he had not done was to put a pin in the latch. I think most boats on trailers are damaged from improper latching than worrying about straps
Old 04-27-2005, 05:01 AM
Registered

It takes a lot to dump one of these things off the trailer,what in the hell was the guy with the Fountain doing? There had to have been a sharp curve,someone pulled out in front of him, something **** doesn't just happen like that. If you've got the bow secured tight and you are not driving like an idiot on a road full of holes and 90 degree curves that boat shouldn't go anywhere.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:17 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Offshoreracr
AMEN!!!
While we are on the subject of trailers, how many of you make sure you have a clevis pin in the tongue latch? I was not driving but was with a friend that had a boat and trailer come loose from the truck after towing 50 miles. We know the latch was locked when we left but it still came loose and hit a telephone pole & totaled the boat & trailer. Nothing held, the tie downs broke, the safety chains pulled straight, the only thing he had not done was to put a pin in the latch. I think most boats on trailers are damaged from improper latching than worrying about straps
I was towing a runabout years ago and did not put in a pin. The trailer didn't come loose but the thing bounced around to the point I couldn't get it off the truck. Ended up having to bend the coupler up just to separate it from the ball.

Quick Reply: Who uses Tie down straps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.