Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Throttle man, or no throttle man >

Throttle man, or no throttle man

Notices
View Poll Results: Would you rather have a throttle man or driver, or race the boat yourself?
I would prefer racing the boat myself
30.36%
I would prefer to have a seperate throttle man or driver.
69.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle man, or no throttle man

Old 05-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Throttle man, or no throttle man

Originally Posted by dhlaw
There is no way to throttle and drive safely at race speeds, period. I would never run the speeds that BK and I run alone. The first thing that he taught me and probably Shane too was "both hands on the wheel and grip tight....never let go of the wheel". BK's advice was correct the first time we tripped and stuck the front end of the boat and 80mph in 5 footers. The pull on the wheel was huge!! I think alot of egos say that they can do both as well but it is just not the case. I also have been shown that an experienced throttleman can tweak a few extra mph out of the boat that I was not able to find. I would encourage anyone with dual controls to let an experienced throttleman take them for a ride in their own boat..... it will be an education!!
dhlaw,

I concur. BK, Ben Kramer...uh I mean Bruce Kreimeier is a GREAT THROTTLEMAN. He taught me a tremendous amount about driving vee bottoms. Until racing with Bruce I had only raced cats. I felt insanely comfortable running with him. He is extremely talented and ironically speaks little about his racing experiences or ailities but rather let's his skills stand on their own. I too don't believe that running a boat at high speeds can be done as safely with a foot throttle as it can by having compitent driver and T-man.

Have a great season with Bruce!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What we ultimately strive for is non-verbal communication in the cockpit....... I can tell when he is ready to turn by the feel coming back into the wheel b/c of the drives coming down, the tab changes and the engine noise. BK and I are close to having that level of confidence but I still have to be told at times what is happening or to settle down. Its amazing that he can control the boat so well from the left side, but he does. I remember my first race and the boat starting to chine walk and me trying to counter steer to no avail..... Bk just chopped the sticks for a split second, settled the boat and raged on. The difference between poker running and racing is enormous....... Until you have pushed the limits with somebody who is experienced you have not really run an offshore boat!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:33 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like racing boats is like sex.......you can do it yourself, but having a partner makes much more sense!!!!

(and both are cool to watch!)
Old 05-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Sounds like racing boats is like sex.......you can do it yourself, but having a partner makes much more sense!!!!

(and both are cool to watch!)
Old 05-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

lets see........, setting the attitude, timing the waves, settling the boat, steering over confused waves, looking forward, behind you, to each side of you, holding on, trimming the tabs, trimming the drives, throttling...........easier at low speeds, but...........

at over 80 mph in 4-6' seas and beyond........only two people can do it safely.....key word.....SAFELY!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing that I forgot to mention is that you have $70,000 worth of motors singing along at 5300rpm....... its good to have somebody minding the guages to avoid major malfunctions. Drops in oil pressure, high water temps , irregular tach readings, ect if caught can save big dollars.... I cant even see the guages nor would I even look!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

damn, forgot that myself, watching the guages can be a full time job.......2 oil pressure, 2 fuel pressure, 2 water temps, 2 oil temps, 2 knock sensors......forget about the tachs!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

water pressure guage will give you notice prior to overheating.........good investment in any boat..................m.m. carry on......
Attached Thumbnails Throttle man, or no throttle man-lib.jpg  
Old 05-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely see the point in it. I was just wanting to hear from some of the racers. I wasn't sure if some teams had both because it's required, or if they really prefer being split.

I NEVER would compare a poker run to racing. I personally do the runs for the party and hanging out with other folks. There are some that do them purely to be the big dog. Whatever floats your boat, but poker runs ain't racing.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think alot depends on the boat. For me, my 24 skater really needs one on the wheel and one on the sticks.

Quick Reply: Throttle man, or no throttle man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.