Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Throttle man, or no throttle man >

Throttle man, or no throttle man

Notices
View Poll Results: Would you rather have a throttle man or driver, or race the boat yourself?
I would prefer racing the boat myself
30.36%
I would prefer to have a seperate throttle man or driver.
69.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle man, or no throttle man

Old 05-02-2005, 02:46 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Throttle man, or no throttle man

It's all about the water conditions........

In calm water...... on a tight course.... a single driver....with a foot throttle...and trim on the steering wheel...(you shouldn't need tabs in calm water)...... will walk away from a driver/throttleman duo.

In rougher water ...you need hands on the throttle to pull back as the props leave the water..... at that point a second person becomes an asset.....(He can also handle trimming the drives)...

We fooled around with an electronic kill switch on the wheel to mimic full-on/full-off throttling (leaving total control in one man's hands even in rough water)and that still has a lot of potential IMHO

In all three scenarios two hands on the wheel is a must.

The wild card here is that most top throttlemen...are also better drivers than most of the guys they team with. (not all ...but most) So a Johnny Tomlinson or a Joey Imprescia is going to do a lot better as a single driver...than Charlie Checkbook.

T2x
Old 05-02-2005, 04:05 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
....do a lot better as a single driver...than Charlie Checkbook.
Yahh but.... no bucks no Buck Rodgers...
Old 05-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two people, IMHO, no question about it!

The driver should be looking further down the course maybe 100 yards or so. The T-man should be looking closer to the bow, reading the waves trying to get a rythym going.

Bottom line is in rough water a single operator is going to sacrifice his driving skills to throttle properly OR sacrifice his throttling skills to drive properly. Either way, DON'T DO IT! (Or let me know if you are so I can stay away from you on the race course!)

Tom Caruso
Total Marine Racing
Old 05-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
I definitely see the point in it. I was just wanting to hear from some of the racers. I wasn't sure if some teams had both because it's required, or if they really prefer being split.

I NEVER would compare a poker run to racing. I personally do the runs for the party and hanging out with other folks. There are some that do them purely to be the big dog. Whatever floats your boat, but poker runs ain't racing.
TSG,
I wish more people thought like you. I cant tell you how many runs I have been to and been passed by 33 footers with 6 people on board chine walking by at 95mph!! I just cant bring myself to be reckless like that.... maybe because I have experienced how quickly and violently things can go wrong........
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Throttle man, or no throttle man

The Pair-a-dice team runs with a split heel toe foot throttle with trim switch on the wheel. also in rough or calm water during a race you can not run the speeds we do without both hands on the wheel at all times
See you at the races,
Rick

www.pair-a-dice-racing.com
Old 05-02-2005, 08:03 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dhlaw
TSG,
I wish more people thought like you. I cant tell you how many runs I have been to and been passed by 33 footers with 6 people on board chine walking by at 95mph!! I just cant bring myself to be reckless like that.... maybe because I have experienced how quickly and violently things can go wrong........

you mean that is not how they are suppose to run?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered

Plus in rough water can you see yourself throttling the boat making sure that you don't blow the drives, watching the guages, trimming down the motors in the turns, searching for the next turn buoy, checkin your mirrors, and turning the boat all at the same time while whoopin up on the competition?

If this were drag racing it would be a different story but in "OFFSHORE" powerboat racing they split up the driver and throttleman for a reason and that is because one can't do it all. (and win)
Old 05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Registered

HMMM...Bob Nordskog used to do it ALL with a custom foot-throttle in his stand up boats, trim buttons on steering wheel....navigator navigated (remember how to do that?), worked the tabs, & kept an eye on the gauges...Nowadays you don't need to look at the gauges if you set them up with idiot/warning lights...navigator???!!!Who needs a navigator on the type of course's they run today???...lol...I set all my perf boats up with pedals & trim on the wheel (or a seperate trim pedal)...I prefer it this way...But I'm pretty coordinated...lol
Old 05-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps in today's version of "offshore," where a race last less than an hour and covers less than 50 miles, one GOOD person could handle both jobs. Same for poker-runs.

But when races were more than 150 miles, I doubt that many people could maintain enough concentration to do it properly over several hours. I sure couldn't.

Of course, ther are exceptions like Bob Nordskog. Heck, even Alan Feingold proved he could do it alone (as in, completely by himself in the boat) in Key West in Kid Apache (1990), after he got pissed off at his crew and left without them.