Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How to re-install your engine???? >

How to re-install your engine????

Notices

How to re-install your engine????

Old 05-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to re-install your engine????

I had to do a rebuid and shipped the engine with the mounts and all. The boat shop helped me put the engine back in but it's not quite lined up correctly. It's more noticable now that the exhaust is on. Do I have to pull the drive to re-align the engine? What is the best way too fix this? I got it running and there is a gear chatter noise coming from the drive when idling and the engine stalls when I trim the drive up. Help Please.....

Last edited by cdog; 05-05-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to re-install your engine????

NO GOOD!!! do not run it anymore. You need to pull the drive and set the alignment using an alignment tool. If you have never done it before you should probably take it to a shop and let them do it. They shouldn't charge more then 3 or 4 hours labor to do it. If you ran it long you may have taken out the gimbal bearing allready and if so it will need to be replaced, they will be able to check it while the drive is off.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. God I hope I did'nt screw it up. How much are the ginble bearings? I have the HD gimble.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they arent that much, I think like 75 bucks or so.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Registered

This is going from bad to worse. I gave them 500 bucks to put the engine in so I can finish the rigging and have it ready for lake powel for friday. I think i'm just going to show up first thing tommarrow and have them do it right this time. Thanks for you help.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Registered

You paid someone to put it in and they put it in incorrectly!!! Damm, I'd find another dealer... QUICK!!!! I'd also confirm all the torque specs on all the bolts as well, belt tension, fluids, all grease zerk fittings. You have two on the drive shaft that you can see when you have the drive off and grease the main shaft and for 5 bucks replace the rubber gaskets on outdrive and main shaft. There is a zerk fitting on the inside for the coupler which is behind the engine and I think there is one on the power steering as well. And one on the outside on the gimble for the gimble bearing.

Good luck!!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Usually when an engine is put back in the alignment is the first thing that is checked. I'd be wondering about the shop that did the work.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
Usually when an engine is put back in the alignment is the first thing that is checked. I'd be wondering about the shop that did the work.
DITTO...something is not right here!!!!!! Forget about getting it done quick to go boating. You are almost sure to be in the middle of the lake broke down. Take your time and get it straightened out!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Registered

These guys are all right on.

R and R of the engine is all about alignment.

I am surprised that they (or you) were even able to get the drive on with it that far out of whack. Usually it will hang up at the coupler.

Speaking of coupler.... you mentioned the G Bearing but not the coupler. You wanna look at those teeth where the spline of the shaft meets the coupler. The teeth are supposed to have squared edges. Not pointy triangle ones.

Forget boating until you are dead sure that you are straightened out.

When you are lined up right the alignment tool (or old shaft in a pinch) will slip in and out of the coupler with minimal effort. Like a finger or two.
If it isn't lined up right it will catch. You can look at your grease and see where you are hitting. Goop it up and seat it.
Then withdraw it and see where the grease hit the coupler.

Good luck. Be patient.