Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Splashed boat with new engine yesterday..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102450-splashed-boat-new-engine-yesterday.html)

Here's Johnny 05-05-2005 04:24 AM

Splashed boat with new engine yesterday.....

1 Attachment(s)
I have to say I am very happy with the performance of my new Volvo 8.1 gxi (496 HO). I just need some break in advice from you guys. The guys at the marina told me not to beat on her for a while...what do you guys think? I took the boat out for a little run but only ran up to about 4500 RPM. I was running about 69 mph and I know the boat has more. They recomend wot around 4800 to 5000 rpm so we shall see. The hole shot is amazing...she is on plane in what feels like a second thanx to volvo's duo-prop drive. These numbers also suprise me becase the boat does still have bottom paint. Now into the shop for some touchup paint work. Good luck to all for a safe and happy boating season.

offshoredrillin 05-05-2005 05:17 AM

Re: Splashed boat with new engine yesterday.....

Congrats...looks awesome:)

OldSchool 05-05-2005 06:08 AM

I've always said break it in like your going to run it. If it's going to break, let it go on the first trip out!! :D

All kidding aside, I wouldn't run it too hard for a long period of time...but I'd crack WOT it for a little while! :cool: :cool:

...by the way, your boat looks great!!

Dave M 05-05-2005 07:16 AM

I have a new engine too. Merc says not to exceed 75% throttle for the first 10 hours. Then short bursts of WOT for the next 10. Alot of people say that is BS. Since it is MY HARD EARNED $$ that paid for this engine I am taking the advice of the Mercury engineers and their 30-40 yrs. of testing and R&D.

Dave M.

fund razor 05-05-2005 09:07 AM

I'm with Dave M.

Although I do try to break a cam in per manufacturer when I have done a cam job. But I do that on the hose.

In your position I would change up my "load" a lot....
Don't stay at the same rpm for a long time for a while.

Easy on those hole shots.... :D

Semper Fi 05-05-2005 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor

In your position I would change up my "load" a lot....
Don't stay at the same rpm for a long time for a while.

Easy on those hole shots.... :D

DITTO :D

wwwTOPDJcom 05-05-2005 09:57 AM

John you know were the only 2 Larson Senza Spectre owners on the board. :D

Told ya that bigger motor would make a difference :)
who said Larson didn't make a performance boat :eek:
I ve seen 71 Gps so I'm happy especially since its a Stepped hull
gotta be careful not to spin her out.

good luck

Stormrider 05-05-2005 10:17 AM

John, that awsome... incredible pick up in speed!
Congrats... hope to see you out there soon.

Here's Johnny 05-05-2005 04:00 PM

Thanks for the compliments and the advice on breaking her in guys....

Brian....70 in this hull does get a little questionable....I will just have to take it easy on the turns....

Rob....how long before you splash....

Stormrider 05-06-2005 08:16 AM

John, engine is in and boat is at a shop, hoping they will be able to finish it up soon. Its a good thing its still cold out, or I'd be goin crazy. :blaster:

We'll get out after work soon!