Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New York Boating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102731-new-york-boating.html)

vonwolske 05-09-2005 05:25 AM

New York Boating

What is there to see relating to boating or sightseeing in general in up state NY along the St. Lawrence seaway? Boldt Castle? Clayton Antique Boats?

How about in Central NY like Finger Lakes area?

Erie Canal? Any really good sections to view? Short tour boat ride?

kilroy 05-09-2005 08:47 AM

Re: New York Boating

Erie Canal, Lockport has the Famous Locks and at one time the widest bidge in the world.

VP 05-09-2005 11:03 AM

The Finger Lakes area is beautiful - You can boat to anywhere in the world from Seneca Lake or Cayuga Lake - Both lakes are tied into the Erie Canal system

Seneca Lake is 30+ miles long by about 2 to 3 miles wide -- Cayuga Lake is about the same size

I am more familiar with Seneca Lake however -- at the South end of Seneca is Watkins Glen NY -- small tourist type of town, many small motels - transit docking - a Yacht club -- half way up on west side of lake are a couple motels right on the water (Rainbow Cove and Showboat Motel) docking available at both motels - at North end is Geneva NY - there is a Ramada i believe it is, on the water - not sure about docking at motel though - however, there is a State run launch and dock area not too far away -

Many tourist attractions in Watkins Glen area (ie: race track, wine trial, State Park with hiking trails, beautiful water falls, beach area, etc.) you can check with the Chamber of Commerce --

hope this helps

hugetime1 05-09-2005 08:56 PM

lake george, by far the nicest lake

vonwolske 05-09-2005 10:05 PM

Thank you for all the help.
I am not taking a boat with me, but I always like to take the excursion ferrys. Dana will like this too.
Will probably take the Dutch Apple in Albany.
The Around Manhattan boat ride was terrific.

Any suggested ferry boats in upper NY.
will probably do the harbor ride in Baltimore.
I like to hear the history of the areas where I visit.

Need-the-Speed 05-09-2005 10:58 PM

Hey if your in town (Seneca Lake, Finger Lakes Region ) on the 25th of June, there is a Poker run on Seneca Lake. It's called the Pirates Run. Many nice boats and great people.

vonwolske 05-09-2005 11:14 PM

To Need the Speed;

That poker run is possible.
Can you give me more specifics regarding the location and I will look it up on Mapquest.com
Need street address and name of business/bar/restaurant.

Thanks for the hospitality.

VP 05-11-2005 01:29 PM

Here is a link to SPBA -- this is the club holding that Poker Run -- excellent show

maybe you could talk someone into giving you a ride on one of their 100 mph ferrys :D

http://www.senecapowerboats.com/

otis311 05-11-2005 03:10 PM

Lake George steamboat Co. offers scenic tours of Lake George. You can go for a short one hour cruise up to a full 5 hour cruise of the entire Lake. They also offer upscale dinner/sunset cruises. The views are breathtaking

Ing 05-11-2005 06:44 PM

Alex Bay offers by far the best scenery and tours. The only issue is catching a weekend where it's not raining or freezing. There are some rinky dink canal tours on the Sylvan Beach side of Oneida Lake. If you hit the eastern shore of Oneida Lake ie. Sylvan or Verona Beaches, you can actually body surf but the lake is not much to look at without a boat. Old Forge has several linked lakes which offer some awesome Adirondack scenery but once again any tours are rinky dink. Go to A Bay. You won't regret it. It offers the most to do without a boat. Lake George is a claose second because there are actually other things to do other than zone at the water. I'm originally from Utica so I've pretty much been to all of the aforementioned places.