Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GPS Antenna Splitter?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102837-gps-antenna-splitter.html)

jbrauer 05-10-2005 06:51 AM

GPS Antenna Splitter??

I'm going to add a Garmin 172C GPS unit to my boat. I already have a Livorsi GPS speedometer and would like to use the same antenna for the Garmin unit. Is it possible or do I need to add a second antenna for the Garmin?

Jeff

Steve Zuckerman 05-10-2005 08:21 AM

Re: GPS Antenna Splitter??

Hi Jeff,
I've been wondering about this myself. I've 2 ideas, get the Garmin with the internal antenna, or call Mike Livorsi. If it's technically feasible, maybe they can make up a harness with a Garmin to Livorsi antenna tee.
Are you going with us to Pickwick/OSS this weekend?
Regards,
Steve

jbrauer 05-10-2005 12:38 PM

Good idea calling Livorsi.

I won't be able to make Pickwick. We're going to a Jeep Jamboree the next weekend so this weekend will be getting the Jeep checked over. Any free time will probably be spent pulling the motors out of the boat to start work on the tunnel tab and extension boxes.

I really hate to miss Pickwick. You guys are going to have the best seat in the house for the races. Next Year!!

Even worse, I just found out that the Unlimited Hydros are the same weekend I'm supposed to go to a meeting in Wisconsin. I'm going to find an excuse to skip the meeting because I'm not missing both Pickwick AND Precy Priest!!

Have a great time and take some pictures!!!

Later,
Jeff

tiufb 05-10-2005 04:58 PM

It is possible, it just takes some calibrating to get everything communicating properly.

Reckless32 05-11-2005 10:42 AM

How do you do the calibrating?

Wally 05-11-2005 11:07 AM

When i worked at Motorola we split GPS signals constantly for our eqipment. Our stuff was amplified.....so when it comes to this instance i dont know how they work. Best bet would be to call and ask. But yes it can be done without problems. In such a short run of cable i dont se it being a problem.

wwwTOPDJcom 05-11-2005 11:31 AM

Active GPS Receivers have 3 or 5 volts DC present on their antenna inner wire to power the antenna. Passive GPS
receivers do not have any DC present, and thus DC should not be applied to the inner wire of passive type receivers.
So combining the two types requires a adaptor, if there are both passive a spliter is the way to go

GAUGETHIS 05-19-2005 12:35 PM

Sir,

Please feel free to contact me here at Livorsi (847) 548-5900, ext 210. My name is Ward, and you may have to leave a message, but I will return your call if I don't catch you when you call. We may have a solution for this situation for you - it will depend on what model GPS gauge you currently have.

Ward

RJ1340 05-19-2005 04:26 PM

My suggestion is to get the Garmin with the internal antenna. One less wire to run, removes easily for storage and you won't wind up degrading your signal. It works just as well, as long as you're not mounting it in the head.

Tantrum 05-19-2005 05:00 PM

I also have the Gaffrig GPS Speedo and was looking at the 172C. Please keep us informed as to how you make out.