Notices

GPS Antenna Splitter??

Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Antenna Splitter??

I'm going to add a Garmin 172C GPS unit to my boat. I already have a Livorsi GPS speedometer and would like to use the same antenna for the Garmin unit. Is it possible or do I need to add a second antenna for the Garmin?

Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GPS Antenna Splitter??

Hi Jeff,
I've been wondering about this myself. I've 2 ideas, get the Garmin with the internal antenna, or call Mike Livorsi. If it's technically feasible, maybe they can make up a harness with a Garmin to Livorsi antenna tee.
Are you going with us to Pickwick/OSS this weekend?
Regards,
Steve
Old 05-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Registered

Good idea calling Livorsi.

I won't be able to make Pickwick. We're going to a Jeep Jamboree the next weekend so this weekend will be getting the Jeep checked over. Any free time will probably be spent pulling the motors out of the boat to start work on the tunnel tab and extension boxes.

I really hate to miss Pickwick. You guys are going to have the best seat in the house for the races. Next Year!!

Even worse, I just found out that the Unlimited Hydros are the same weekend I'm supposed to go to a meeting in Wisconsin. I'm going to find an excuse to skip the meeting because I'm not missing both Pickwick AND Precy Priest!!

Have a great time and take some pictures!!!

Later,
Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Registered

It is possible, it just takes some calibrating to get everything communicating properly.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

How do you do the calibrating?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

When i worked at Motorola we split GPS signals constantly for our eqipment. Our stuff was amplified.....so when it comes to this instance i dont know how they work. Best bet would be to call and ask. But yes it can be done without problems. In such a short run of cable i dont se it being a problem.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:31 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Active GPS Receivers have 3 or 5 volts DC present on their antenna inner wire to power the antenna. Passive GPS
receivers do not have any DC present, and thus DC should not be applied to the inner wire of passive type receivers.
So combining the two types requires a adaptor, if there are both passive a spliter is the way to go
Old 05-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sir,

Please feel free to contact me here at Livorsi (847) 548-5900, ext 210. My name is Ward, and you may have to leave a message, but I will return your call if I don't catch you when you call. We may have a solution for this situation for you - it will depend on what model GPS gauge you currently have.

Ward
Old 05-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered

My suggestion is to get the Garmin with the internal antenna. One less wire to run, removes easily for storage and you won't wind up degrading your signal. It works just as well, as long as you're not mounting it in the head.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Registered

I also have the Gaffrig GPS Speedo and was looking at the 172C. Please keep us informed as to how you make out.

Quick Reply: GPS Antenna Splitter??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.