Notices

vintage outdrive question

Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: vintage outdrive question

If they will handle that much HP, I wonder why you don't see more of them? I'm not an outdrive guy at all, but the people I have work on mine tell me the drives are built tough - way heavier than typical. People have asked me 'why not drive showers?'. They drives hold 2 gallons of lube - EACH! I'm lucky to get the lube above room temp!

I have tryed to sell my boat a couple of times and everyone is worried about the drives??? Hell, like I said above, these things are built like bricks! I guess it's a lack of knowledge about the drives which goes back to my question above.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: vintage outdrive question

I had a Sonic 33', not alot of 33' sonic made. The boat had 454's with mx07. You can still get parts, they are pretty easy to work on. They looked cool as hell, it was hard to find props, I sold the boat with 2 sets. They still make brand new drives. Just not mainstream enough to get anyone to buy them. They are used by the military and are used for pleasure boats in the UK. Most are now being applied to diesal motors. I had them running with 425HP a piece. The manual that I had said they would handle 800HP. These were older. The sonic was an 81. The motors were new and so were the velvet drive transmissions. The new ones that they offer supposedly can handle 1100 HP from what I heard. They take a ton of Outdrive Oil. But they do run cool.

The only problem I see with the drives is the resale value if you decide to get something else. People looked at them and said, what the hell are those.

Just to let you know they will do full rebuilds of the drives. I would do them in the off season, since I don't know what kind of turn around they have.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Re: vintage outdrive question

Thanks guys!! The info helps alot!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don,t know what I,m doing with this computer but the drives are awesome and just about indestructable, any power I don,t care supercharged 600 inch I have no issues at all period. People are fools in general have to have mercury bombs, well fill your boots cause they break all the time, these don,t. I have every gear ratio made props gaskets they are so easy its a joke, any nob could work on them if you ever had to which would be rare unless you ran into a rock ledge wid open lol. And if polished up they are wild.. big roost to . And no not really a surface drive but close.