Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   XM Radio questions??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/102930-xm-radio-questions.html)

26ZX Donzi 05-11-2005 11:11 AM

XM Radio questions???

We decided to put satellite radio in the boat this year, but do not know where to start. Did a search and read a bunch of stuff on here. Would like to know the best unit to buy maintaining stock Sony Xplod config in boat and be able to transfer unit to truck. I beleive I saw Troutly last year with a good set up, but didn't find it. Let me have it folks!

Sydwayz 05-11-2005 11:18 AM

Re: XM Radio questions???

I have the XM integrated system off my Sony head unit in the boat. After 1 weekend on the boat, I am not happy with it. I have the Sirius mobile/transferrable unit in my truck and car, and plan to probably by an additional docking station for the boat. The XM service kept dropping out in the middle of the lake under a clear sky, and the Sirius channels are better IMHO.

CROWN MAN 05-11-2005 11:30 AM

Sirius Is Better

dukenrock 05-11-2005 11:48 AM

New Formulas are coming with a year free subscription to Sirius. The receiver is and external unit in the boat. I went to fire my subscription up but couldn't find the SID (?) number through the head unit. I have Sirius on my truck and it works great. Cuts out under filling station overhangs and highway overpasses occasionally, but otherwise has been good. Nice thing is that after the boat's free year expires I willget to renew it for $5.00 per month. Also, once you sign po you can get online with Sirius and play it over your PC. I have a PC at my home that is dedicated to their website to pipe music through the house speakers. Works well.

wwwTOPDJcom 05-11-2005 11:57 AM

Sirus uses Statistical Time Division Multiplexing which might make it sound a slight bit better than XM

DoTheMath 05-11-2005 12:00 PM

I have XM in my truck - have had it for about 8 months now and love it. I bought the SKYFi2 unit, easy to install and good features. I also stream it through my computer at work. I looked at both, most of my friends that have satellite radio, have XM that's why I went with XM. Plus MLB on XM this year, and I'm not big Stern fan, so... Just my .02 :)

rdp145 05-11-2005 12:19 PM

well I have to disagree, If you haven't listen to both then you can't really judge. If you are losing your signal in the middle of the lake then you have some install problem. I have 3 xm units 1 in a corvette and the ant. is in the underside of the trunk I can even pick up a signal in my garage... You can also get xm on your pc.Major league baseball, Nascar.If you want football serius has that but that is the only advantage, oh yea Martha stewart maybe that might sway you.If you have seen the xm myfi it will go from car to boat to riding down the road on you motorcycle or jet ski thru earphones.You can walk down the street and listen to sat.radio. It is fm modulated so its not as good of sound as a head unit that has it built in but its a unit you can use anywhere.It even comes with a home kit to play thru. your home stereo.Check the price of xm stock and check serius I doubt both companies will make it also GM has a huge amount invested in xm. Hundai now puts xm in there cars. Just another opinion.

pappo 05-11-2005 12:34 PM

I've had XM for almost 3 years now. I have had no problems with it and have used it in my cars and boat. I've never had an issue with it losing signal and have driven from Chicago to San Diego with no problems. I do not know if Sirius has terrestrial broadcasts, but XM does, so for those of us who live in big cities, XM broadcasts terrestrially so that you still have signal when stuck in traffic under an overpass.

An easy setup is using the portable XM/Sirius devices with an FM modulator. You can use the FM modulator with your satellite radio or MP3 devices. You don't have the same signal integrity, but its nice to tie up to several other boats and have them playing the same music.

The last I checked, XM had more stations, cost less, and had more of the market share. Only one of my friends has Sirius, but has had no issues with it.

I don't think you can go wrong with satellite radio either way, especially on a boat.

My .02

offshoredrillin 05-11-2005 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by CROWN MAN
Sirius Is Better

ditto, i'm going with sirrius

drseuss 05-11-2005 01:50 PM

I've had XM for a year and a half with a Roady 2 reciever that gets moved between 3 boats and 2 cars on a regular basis. No problems with hardware or reception to date.