Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
WoooooHoooooo I got a skater!!!!!!!! >

WoooooHoooooo I got a skater!!!!!!!!

Notices

WoooooHoooooo I got a skater!!!!!!!!

Old 05-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WoooooHoooooo I got a skater!!!!!!!!

Nope, tried it once, it was the second most misreable thing I ever did next to trying to go back to a smaller boat.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Firewalker

Some good advise here on the motors.
I will add some more, feel free to debate it.
First, I have never ever seen an electric fuel pressure gauge with a damn, I always run mechanical units....... yes fuel to the dash. These are accurate and safe if done correctly. Fuel psi on the 260 and 280 motor should be 39 psi. If you rev the motors much over 8000 rpm the stock bosch units are at there limit, the larger bosch or even better a 2001A or 2005 Weldon pump should be used. Consider that these fuel systems are charged from in the boat and if you have a pump failure the system pressure drops this takes a few seconds, it is not instant. It will cause your motor to go lean before it shuts down. These Hi per mercs WILL NOT tolerate this. You might get luckey once or twice, but you WILL cook one.
Having a slosh tank is a big plus, you need a Hi volume low pressure pump to feed them, these tanks should be pressureized to about 3 psi. The reason for this is when you pull on fuel or suck on it, you effectly lower the atmospheric pressure and the fuel can atomize in the fuel lines. ( ever turn your pumps on and hear the gurgel? ). The idea here is to pull the fuel from the tank and send all the air back to the tank, while force feeding the hi- pressure pump with 3 psi. This will not allow ANY air into the system. Clean fuel is key.

A note about fuel and oil. Sunoco Oxygenates there fuel..... VERY VERY BAD, if others do stay the hell away.
Amsoil is some of the worst oil on the market ( I run it in my sleds ) for the 2.5 mercs. They run very very dry, the bearing go blue and you could shave with the piston rings after 50 hours.
Get good oil like Alisyn or Klotz, it is worth it.
Keep an eye on leakdown, after about 8% take them apart and have a competant mechanice measure your pistons, and replace the rings. Also check the bores to see if they are straight. Don't let anyone sell you on top pinning your pistons, if the pins are loose the piston is worn out.
Mantinace is key with these motors, they will last a long long time if you pay attention. They are also very expensive if one goes boom boom ( and if one goes the other is usually not far behind.)
Look to Diamond Marine, and Power Performance for excellent motor advise.

At100, clean your injectors.

RT

BTW I am not re-reading all that, please mind the spelling and such.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered

Any pics of a good fuel system setup? Im gonna try and get some up.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
only one way to find out!!! put some 1550's in it!!
They're on their way. waiting on the parts. I have a 35 cig as a family boat for the wife. That's what V bottoms are for, And I used to run my 28 Skater at 8300 rpm. Stock 2.5s 107mph. Be sure to check your drives for no toe in or toe out. That was critical for top preformance.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Registered

you know OSO is bad it makes me wanna leave work and go ride around...
Old 05-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottiguy
I know what you mean.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats sweet ride
Old 05-19-2005, 05:57 PM
JnT
Registered

Originally Posted by Rottiguy
If you wanna take Tammy and I for a ride during the week we will be in town! Skip work and lets go boating.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewalker
Some good advise here on the motors.
I will add some more, feel free to debate it.
First, I have never ever seen an electric fuel pressure gauge with a damn, I always run mechanical units....... yes fuel to the dash. These are accurate and safe if done correctly. Fuel psi on the 260 and 280 motor should be 39 psi. If you rev the motors much over 8000 rpm the stock bosch units are at there limit, the larger bosch or even better a 2001A or 2005 Weldon pump should be used. Consider that these fuel systems are charged from in the boat and if you have a pump failure the system pressure drops this takes a few seconds, it is not instant. It will cause your motor to go lean before it shuts down. These Hi per mercs WILL NOT tolerate this. You might get luckey once or twice, but you WILL cook one.
Having a slosh tank is a big plus, you need a Hi volume low pressure pump to feed them, these tanks should be pressureized to about 3 psi. The reason for this is when you pull on fuel or suck on it, you effectly lower the atmospheric pressure and the fuel can atomize in the fuel lines. ( ever turn your pumps on and hear the gurgel? ). The idea here is to pull the fuel from the tank and send all the air back to the tank, while force feeding the hi- pressure pump with 3 psi. This will not allow ANY air into the system. Clean fuel is key.

A note about fuel and oil. Sunoco Oxygenates there fuel..... VERY VERY BAD, if others do stay the hell away.
Amsoil is some of the worst oil on the market ( I run it in my sleds ) for the 2.5 mercs. They run very very dry, the bearing go blue and you could shave with the piston rings after 50 hours.
Get good oil like Alisyn or Klotz, it is worth it.
Keep an eye on leakdown, after about 8% take them apart and have a competant mechanice measure your pistons, and replace the rings. Also check the bores to see if they are straight. Don't let anyone sell you on top pinning your pistons, if the pins are loose the piston is worn out.
Mantinace is key with these motors, they will last a long long time if you pay attention. They are also very expensive if one goes boom boom ( and if one goes the other is usually not far behind.)
Look to Diamond Marine, and Power Performance for excellent motor advise.

At100, clean your injectors.

RT
Right on..... Fuel on Long Island is not oxygenated...it has ethanol in it...some pinheads in Congress are pushing for revenue for corn growing regions..... and boats with built in tanks are having issues with any loose sealant...etc. In addition there are reports that certain seals in Yamaha fuel systems have been eroding.......

I'm surprised at your take on Amzoil..... We've had no problems like you describe....wonder if the blend in Canada is from a different source or recipe.

Fuel systems on the other hand..... The Weldon pump is a must ........ and don't try to save money in that department....

I agree on the dash mounted mechanical gauges....... and had them myself....BUT...... you are running little hoses out of your fuel systems.....all over the boat..... If you get a pinhole leak....... Kaboom!.... Be sure you treat these hoses like glass ornaments and inspect them often.

I found the comments by Yahoo about the boat's fuel system very telling!!!!!.... Take my advice and get the boat to Site X.

T2x...............
Old 05-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Right on..... Fuel on Long Island is not oxygenated...it has ethanol in it...some pinheads in Congress are pushing for revenue for corn growing regions..... and boats with built in tanks are having issues with any loose sealant...etc. In addition there are reports that certain seals in Yamaha fuel systems have been eroding.......

I'm surprised at your take on Amzoil..... We've had no problems like you describe....wonder if the blend in Canada is from a different source or recipe.

Fuel systems on the other hand..... The Weldon pump is a must ........ and don't try to save money in that department....

I agree on the dash mounted mechanical gauges....... and had them myself....BUT...... you are running little hoses out of your fuel systems.....all over the boat..... If you get a pinhole leak....... Kaboom!.... Be sure you treat these hoses like glass ornaments and inspect them often.

I found the comments by Yahoo about the boat's fuel system very telling!!!!!.... Take my advice and get the boat to Site X.

T2x...............
Obviously not just anyone can call lake X and have them test and setup their boat???? What would something like this cost? Anyone know what most 28's run with 300 promax's (not x's). Just curious how close I am, 109.2 so far with all interior and 3/4 fuel. I have heard of one from my area that ran 114 at lake X. The owner saw 112 one time, also hear say.

Quick Reply: WoooooHoooooo I got a skater!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.