Notices

Dry start damage?

Old 05-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dry start damage?

"One ruined boating vacation just avoided"

Might be the best line of the day. I am so glad I took the time and tore it apart. I already found all the pieces in the oil / power steering fluid cooler. I kinda figured that is where they might be. They were clogging up the inlet side. I had to order the "pump repair kit" It will be here on Wed and hopefully I can get it back together before the weekend. It only took me about half an hour to get it all tore apart so hopefully it won't take over an hour to get back together. The wife and I are making our first trip to Lake Martin AL. It should be a lot more fun than it would have been. Thanks to everyone that helped me make a good decision.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OSO comes to the rescue again. i gotta tell ya. thanks to many of the fellow OSO'ers that have replied to my threads as well as many others. we have saved each other much time and money i'm sure. HERE HERE

And congrats on finding the missing pieces, have a great weekend.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Old
Run Dry rebuild kits are available. The impeller is guaranteed for two years. Run it dry for 24 hours with no damage to the impeller.

$189 and never have the problem again.
Too Old - do those fit any engine? That looks like the way to go next time I have to replace my impellers.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Registered

I want to ask one more question about this process. While I am pretty sure how this water pump all came apart I have also read how people screw up impeller direction and inlet and outlet hose. The way my water hose connection works is when I turn the water on without the engine running the water flows out of the foot of the drive. When I turn the motor on it stops flowing from the foot and flows out of the exhaust. If I put the pump all back together right and start the engine it should start flowing out the exhaust again. Is there any other way to ensure that I get it all back together right. Like I said I am 99% confident that I know how to put it all back together. I just have read to many bad stories about people screwing it up.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the new housing actually has marks for inlet and outlet based on rotation. it's pretty simple.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Your pully will turn clock wise, make sure you grease the impeller and housing so it will go in easier and not tear the second you start it up. I change mine every season, its cheap and after you've done it a few times its no big deal. You also need to get all the pieces of that bad impeller, "reasemble" it on your work bench and you'll be able to see when you have all the chunks that came off of it. I taped one of my hoses the very first time I changed my impeller so I always know which one goes on top. Its kinda late for you now but I do believe the housing is maked like HBilly said.....
Old 05-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Registered

Well I put it all back together today and all is well. I replaced the impeller and the housing. When I run the engine on a hose I can hear a slight squeeking sound. It almost sounds like a belt squeeling but not near as loud. I am assuming this is normal since the impeller and housing are new. I assume with time this will go away. If anyone could confirm or deny that this is normal I would appreciate it. Thank you to everyone who helped me with this problem. It looks like we will have a good boating weekend in Lake Martin assuming the weather cooperates. Thanks again!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zog02
Well I put it all back together today and all is well. I replaced the impeller and the housing. When I run the engine on a hose I can hear a slight squeeking sound. It almost sounds like a belt squeeling but not near as loud. I am assuming this is normal since the impeller and housing are new. I assume with time this will go away. If anyone could confirm or deny that this is normal I would appreciate it. Thank you to everyone who helped me with this problem. It looks like we will have a good boating weekend in Lake Martin assuming the weather cooperates. Thanks again!!!
tighten the sea water pump belt, its not normal even with a brand new impeller. the belt is probably just a little loose.