At what point do you just give up? >

At what point do you just give up?

Notices

At what point do you just give up?

Old 05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
BBB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: At what point do you just give up?

I feel you're pain, but with me it was trannys, 6 in 2 years. Got real good at pulling drives and engines. broke down and bought huber 925s, installed yesterday.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go stock power and get some time out on the boat. Unless you can go to a high end builder that is reputable and will stand behind issues like what you are having.

Jon
Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Registered

Buck up Tiger, it gives you something to cry in your beer about at least. I would say go Merc also if you want the dependability. If you are looking for the custom power line then there are plenty to choose from around here on this board.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:14 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sorry for your dilemma and this probably won't make you feel any better...but..... it has been my experience that as soon as I hear the words..."I built a motor"..... 9 times out of 10...it is followed by a story exactly like yours. There is a reason why Mercruiser is in business......... They build marine engines for a living.... and they build a lot of 'em. Sure they aren't all perfect...but their batting average is well up there as opposed to the .100 B. A. (1 out of 10) for the average do it yourselfer. And if you get the occasional "issue"..... Merc's motors are warranteed.

So, while you and many others might have "saved money"..... where's the solace? This phenomenon is even worse when you throw boat racing into the mix...... than you not only have failure ...you have wildly exaggerated horsepower.... (generally complete with dyno sheets)...... but no boat speed, acceleration, nor engine life.

The sad thing is that this issue continues ......... With no recognition for the simple fact that even a guy who does major auto engine work in a garage somewhere....... generally produces poop when it comes to a boat motor.

Sadly it's a different world with higher stresses, different assembly, and much more taxing operating conditions.

Good luck to you...but if you really want togo boating...buy a dependable package from a reputable marine manufacturer.

T2x
Old 05-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned

I can understand. I have had my Donzi for two years and have maybe one hour of run time on it.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Mike

I wouldn't give up until you get into the double digits on the number of rebuilds. Never give up!
I'm working in SFO now, I may have to hop down the coast for a fix soon.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Hell, just bring them to me, I'll rebuild them for free and you don't even have to say thanks.
Just ask, oh never mind
Old 05-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
I'm sorry for your dilemma and this probably won't make you feel any better...but..... it has been my experience that as soon as I hear the words..."I built a motor"..... 9 times out of 10...it is followed by a story exactly like yours. There is a reason why Mercruiser is in business......... They build marine engines for a living.... and they build a lot of 'em. Sure they aren't all perfect...but their batting average is well up there as opposed to the .100 B. A. (1 out of 10) for the average do it yourselfer. And if you get the occasional "issue"..... Merc's motors are warranteed.

So, while you and many others might have "saved money"..... where's the solace? This phenomenon is even worse when you throw boat racing into the mix...... than you not only have failure ...you have wildly exaggerated horsepower.... (generally complete with dyno sheets)...... but no boat speed, acceleration, nor engine life.

The sad thing is that this issue continues ......... With no recognition for the simple fact that even a guy who does major auto engine work in a garage somewhere....... generally produces poop when it comes to a boat motor.

Sadly it's a different world with higher stresses, different assembly, and much more taxing operating conditions.

Good luck to you...but if you really want togo boating...buy a dependable package from a reputable marine manufacturer.

T2x
I understand where you are going here, but I didn't want to go with factory Merc power, nor did I set out to save money.

I went with a reputable builder (the second time) and a part failed. He didn't build the oil pump and I didn't buy a cheap OEM replacement. Crap like this happens even on Mercs but you are correct, I do not have a warranty. Merc does not offer the power I was looking for in a small block configuration so I built one using nothing radical but definately above stock.

Apart from the short block I did ALL the work myself and made 110% certain I did it correctly. I am just not sure if I have it in me to do all that work for the third time. I am only in my "home" city 6-8 days a month and for the last 6 months I have done NOTHING but work on the boat while I was at home. It's the being a hermit in a warehouse for the next few months that makes it the hardest if I decide to rebuild. OR, I could just scrap the project, cut my losses and buy something I dont have to tinker with.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula78
I'm working in SFO now, I may have to hop down the coast for a fix soon.
Say!.... Doesn't Norty go out all the time?.......
Old 05-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Say!.... Doesn't Norty go out all the time?.......
Will you wear the Santa hat again?

Quick Reply: At what point do you just give up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.