Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chicago Boating how far can you get downtown ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103347-chicago-boating-how-far-can-you-get-downtown.html)

Fightclub 05-16-2005 08:19 PM

Chicago Boating how far can you get downtown ?

I am thinking about bringing my boat over for a few weeks this summer. Can you take your boat up the river into downtown? Specifically I need to get down by the merchandise mart can I do this?

Thanks

yss 05-16-2005 08:32 PM

Re: Chicago Boating how far can you get downtown ?

You can go all over the City on the river. You have to go thru one lock and your're on the river. The Merchandise Mart is on the river just past Lasalle St. Not sure where you can park on the river though.

Fightclub 05-16-2005 08:34 PM

Where do you come in? I noticed plenty of wall space at the Mart can you tie up on a Sunday afternoon?

Brad

yss 05-16-2005 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fightclub
Where do you come in? I noticed plenty of wall space at the Mart can you tie up on a Sunday afternoon?

Brad

You come in Just south of Navy pier. I don't know if the CG and police will let boats tie up there or not.

Smitty 05-16-2005 09:05 PM

There are very limited spots to tie up in the river. That is very sad for Chicago. I live here and they are really missing out on taking advantage of the river. If you are coming over maybe we can hook up and I can show you a bit of the river. My boat won't be ready until late June (long story) so keep in touch. There are also alot of nice harbors you could get a transient slip in too.

BZ 05-16-2005 09:29 PM

If you are lucky they will let you tie up by Bob Chin's rest. other than that once you get past Marina Towers there is nothing until Life's Too Short on the north branch and a bunch of small stuff on the south branch. When are you making the trip??? There are tons of places to go in Chi-Town you just have to know where to look. Do you have dates for you trips? I have been running the lake around Chicago for you I might be able to help.....BZ

Downtown42 05-16-2005 10:56 PM

I'd like to get in on that..never been down the river

Fightclub 05-17-2005 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
If you are lucky they will let you tie up by Bob Chin's rest. other than that once you get past Marina Towers there is nothing until Life's Too Short on the north branch and a bunch of small stuff on the south branch. When are you making the trip??? There are tons of places to go in Chi-Town you just have to know where to look. Do you have dates for you trips? I have been running the lake around Chicago for you I might be able to help.....BZ

Weather permititing I will be in Chicago June 10 - 11 - 12.

Brad

dyno 05-17-2005 09:34 AM

I went through the locks and into the river years ago it was real cool!

BZ 05-17-2005 11:54 AM

Sonds like a plan, the river can be fun, keep in mind that most of it is no-wake zones. So it takes a while. I the OLD DAYS you could just rip down the whole thing that was fun. Lots to see down there buildings ect. I will have to look but somewhere I have a map that shows all of the history behind all of the buildings....pm me BZ