Notices

Cell Phone 2 PC

Old 05-18-2005, 04:44 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cell Phone 2 PC

My ? is can you hook up your cell to your lap top.so i can be online on the boat.A freinds says he does it but he was to drunk at the race to show me last weekend.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Cell Phone 2 PC

yep
Old 05-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of wireless card is the best....I have to buy boosters and external antennas for my verizon...not near any big city.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:31 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

How?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have done it before but it was Slow as crap ...been may 3-4 years ago so technology is prob better... you just need to call you cell phone provider and get the cable ... USB from Phone to PC and you'll need Software to run the connection .... Some are advertising BB like speeds but I doubt it ....
Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

wasn't me, I was not the guy driving down the road while on offshore only every night. dont tell Tim, but while I was hauling his notech and he was sleeping I was on here. I have a sprint phone and the cable to hook it to the laptop, it works good when you have sprint service but does not work at all when roaming on other towers
Old 05-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I use an Sony Ericsson EDGE card on Cingular and get 100-150 kb/sec speeds. Plugs right in the side of the notebook. As long as there is GPRS in the area it works fine. Unlimited usage is 79.95 a month or you can scale it down for lower usage. If you have a GPRS enabled phone and a cable or bluetooth connection you can do the same thing using your phone and just add the data to your normal plan.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:58 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're referring to using a laptop with your cellphone as the "modem", that's pretty easy to do. Radio Shack (as well as Verizon) sell data cables to connect the two. If you look around on the internet, you can download and run a software utility that basically uses your cellphone as a modem, or if you really know what you're doing you can just use the Windows Modem Dialer. You're burning up minutes, but on a weekend, they're unlimited anyway for most plans. The downside is speed, it's only about 150k, but quicker than standard 56k dialup service.

I finally went to a similar setup to Ted's, but the Verizon version, an Audiovox card. If you squeeze a little, and dig around politely with customer service, you can get the card for free and monthly service for $63/month on a 2 year plan. This allows you to connect the laptop directly to the internet via cell technology. On the upside, some of the major markets are up to 2MB in download speed, but Verizon is the only one with the broadband capability, it slows to 150k in secondary markets.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 05-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Registered

I have a cell phone with Verizon service. I went to the Verizon store and they sold me a kit for $39 that included a cable as well as a CD to install on the laptop. The only additional thing you will need is to make sure that your Verizon account has browser service (internet) enabled. In my case this costs me an additional $6 per month.

The CD installation was very easy and now when I travel I can get internet on my laptop to check emails, surf the web, etc. I think I am getting about 100k transfer speed on the download side and much slower on the upload side. I am just charged for minutes while I am connected.

If you contact your service provider they would most likely be able to recommend the kit you will need for you phone (cable and CD) to make this happen.

If you have verizon and want specifics PM me and I can give you more info.

--KevinJ
Old 05-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a verizon card and it is not good near south jersey..slow and always disconnects ...getting hop up kit booster and antenna for office trailer..no cable back there.....www. trissell computors.com...boosters for air cards and antennas for trucks..have to go with longer antennas for better gain..booster plugs into cig lighter..will keep posted...any more better ideas?????

Quick Reply: Cell Phone 2 PC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.