Scary fast (for me anyway) >

Scary fast (for me anyway)

Notices

Old 05-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK i am ready to get chewed out but i just wanted to express my thanks to the board. Last night i had my boat up to 94 on gps and i was at 5200 rpm and plenty of stick left. I am not going to go this fast again until I get external steering on it. And.... next time, helmets.... It honestly felt great and it was effortless. it felt like driving a car at 75 mph on the interstate. The motor has about 6 hours on it and i have broke so many little 300 dollar items i am scared to push it to its 6,000 rpm limit. I am none the less a very happy camper

I am thinking that the prop that i have must be tweaked or my tach is off. At this speed and rpm i am getting 7 % slip which is really hard to achieve?!?!?! I am thinking that the prop is probably closer to a 28 pitch even though it says 27 on it. This puts slip at 9% which seems more realistic. It has a ding or two in it and seems shaved a bit. But it is in overall decent shape. How much can you tweak these props/stretch pitch? It is a mirage 3 blade on a twin step Eagle. Are these realistic numbers? What is a reasonable amount of slip to expect? i had about 30 gal of fuel on board and two people......

Last edited by hpy540; 05-21-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:15 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Scary fast (for me anyway)

SWEET!!! Definatly get the steering at those speeds!! Helmets, neck braces and Lifelines also. You should get an on board video at that speed
Old 05-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i wouldnt run over 80 with out external steering...NOWAY.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Registered

Extermal steering is a must, I've heard its recommended on anything that does over 70. I could asume it could get pretty messy if something were to break at those speeds. Thats movin out though keep it safe!!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Your numbers seems off. Are you running a 1.36 drive? Even if you are I come up with 4% with the 27 pitch and 7% with the 28 pitch. Those kind of slip numbers are about impossible with a single engine 28' boat. If you are running a 1.50 drive you are at a neg. slip.(that's not at all possible) What kind of Hp are you running? Are you sure your tach and GPS are funtioning properly?
I run closer to 14% with a single engine 30' er and a stepped hull. 4% and 7% seems impossible.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Your numbers seems off. Are you running a 1.36 drive? Even if you are I come up with 4% with the 27 pitch and 7% with the 28 pitch. Those kind of slip numbers are about impossible with a single engine 28' boat. If you are running a 1.50 drive you are at a neg. slip.(that's not at all possible) What kind of Hp are you running? Are you sure your tach and GPS are functioning properly?
I run closer to 14% with a single engine 30' er and a stepped hull. 4% and 7% seems impossible.

that is what i am saying about the slip numbers.... i am running a 236 eagle. with DD 2003 numbers of 540 CID 713 hp?????? This is a estimation, The boat from Eliminator weighs 3400 with a merc 330 hp( mine has aluminum heads and intake and exhaust)Yes the drive is 1.36. I was running downstream but at a area of the river where it is really slow and wide(maybe 2 mph more like 1 mph). We had a beer or two and i did not want to go that fast again without the proper safety equipment/steering.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Banned

Who cares about slip numbers? That puppy is hauling ass!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:11 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with Cuda....Haulin' AZZ.....who cares about slip at that speed!!! If you can go fast enough to suck the beer out of your can....Thats fast enough for me!!

I've flown out of a boat at 80 w/o safety equipment on and when I woke up 4 days later....it still HURTS!!! Get the 'quipment for the next run!!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by R Addiction
I've flown out of a boat at 80 w/o safety equipment on and when I woke up 4 days later....it still HURTS!!! Get the 'quipment for the next run!!
Yep Yep.... I am recovering from a car accident where i got ejected. I broke 9 bones....It still hurts. I have to get the right stuff to do that again. besides it is nice to know you an go that fast.... and when some one asks how fast dose it go you can say I DON'T KNOW. I had it up to 94 with some stick left
Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice performance from a single engine vee! Definately get steering and at least a lifeline poker run jacket. Choose your water wisely! As for your slip #'s 10% on a vee is almost unheard of. Normally 15% is in the ballpark. My 23' cat runs at about 12%. Check your tach and have fun!!!

Craig

Quick Reply: Scary fast (for me anyway)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.