Gull Island / Lake St. Clair >

Gull Island / Lake St. Clair

Notices

Gull Island / Lake St. Clair

Old 04-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gull Island / Lake St. Clair

I'm sure there's a financial aspect to it for local resturaunts and venders but I'm betting the main reason to lease the island is so they can enforce what goes on there. Basically shut down Jobbie Nooner......Someone always has to ruin the party

Harrison Township to study takeover of Gull Island

Residents wary of Jobbie Nooner party site in Lake St. Clair

PUBLISHED: April 27, 2005

By Mitch Hotts
Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Harrison Township residents aren't wild about the idea, but township officials this week agreed to study the feasibility of leasing controversial Gull Island and sub-leasing it to a private company to convert it to a family-oriented destination.
Advertisement

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which owns the 19-acre manmade island five miles east of Metro Beach, has offered to enter into a 25-year lease with Harrison Township to operate it as a park.

But the island -- a barren but popular destination spot for Lake St. Clair boaters in summer months -- may be best known as the site of the twice-a-year Jobbie Nooner parties that are known for rowdy behavior.

"I don't want to live in a community that supports Jobbie Nooner," said township resident Ginny Porter. "What's next -- massage parlors and adult bookstores?"

Under the plan, Harrison Township would take over the island and use grant money and permit fees to erect minimal facilities such as portable toilets and permanent trash cans. Yearly fees could generate about $24,000 a year that could be spent on the island.

In addition, Boat Town USA, a nonprofit corporation made up mostly of Harrison Township bars, restaurants and marinas, would manage the island and could erect concession stands to sell food and beverages.

Members of We Are Here, an environmental group that has performed cleanups at the island following many Jobbie Nooners, has agreed to provide maintenance during summer months.

Pete Arsenault, who owns the Jobbie Nooner site on the Internet, said 3,000 people a year attend the adult parties and have money to "spend on concessions" that could be in operation on Gull Island.

Ray Azar, a township resident, supports exploring the concept. "This sounds like a wonderful opportunity," he said.

Other residents are leery of the idea, especially when it's billed as a no-cost facility for Harrison Township. "I'm very suspicious at the no-cost aspect," said Mary Ellis. "It must have hidden costs."

Harrison Township would include the park in its $2 million insurance policy, said township Supervisor Anthony Forlini. However, since the island is technically in federally protected waters, the township would have to make it handicapped accessible to conform to federal disability laws.

Victor Kotwicki, chief of the real estate division for the Army Corps, said the island could be used for private parties, camping for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, and youth environmental education trips.

"It's a jewel of an island," he said.

The township Board of Trustees agreed to set up a committee of officials, residents and business owners to give the lease additional study.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gull Island / Lake St. Clair

wtf is jobbie nooner?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Registered

Harrison Township can't run Metro beach, what makes them think they can run Gull Island?

Ban Ban Ban, they ban everything that is fun, but we still will have the MOOT.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
wtf is jobbie nooner?

It's a huge party on an Island that starts at noon on a Friday.
Girls tend to be topless and everybody's drunk.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Registered

http://www2.jobbienooner.net/coppermine_dir/

It use to be once a year now it happens twice but basically the more popular it gets the more they want to shut it down!

Last edited by ofshore; 04-29-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Goverment idea that will be a bust at TAX payer's exspense. Have been going to GULL for many a year and never had a problem. Yes JOBBER NOONER can get a little out of hand but no one ever really gets hurt. GULL is nothing like it was about 10 years ago when the WATER WEENIE was docked in the bay.

So if Harrison Twp. thinks that people will pay a fee to tie up on an Island with no AMENITIES go right ahead. I will spend my money at METRO BEACH or spend my time at one of the many FREE locations on the Lake.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Registered

I think that they see the pics of all of those boats and people and think "how come nobody's making money off this?"
But people are - Gas stations, party stores, restaurants for the afterparties.

Here's a quote from one of the articles in the Macomb paper:
Pete Arsenault, who owns the Jobbie Nooner site on the Internet, said 3,000 people a year attend the adult parties and have money to "spend on concessions" that could be in operation on Gull Island.

That I think sums it up. I'm expecting that they will ban outside alcohol and sell it themselves on the island. Have you ever seen the amount of empties left on the island after JN? People pick them up for the dime, but I think Boattown and Harrison Twp don't see those as a dime, they see them as $2.50 a pop. That's just my conspiracy theory, but to me, the reasons they give about making it a family destination and cleaning it up don't hold water. I go a couple times a year other than JN with my family and friends and we never have any problems, except for dogs fighting. It's truely rowdy and out of control twice a year for a couple of parties that you have to go thru some serious effort to get to. On a Friday, early in the season so the water is pretty cool, rafting with at least a thousand other boats and wading in through anchor lines. Jobbienooner is not a big enough problem for a township 5 miles across the lake in a different county to need to fix.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered

What I hope to see if they do take it over and try to charge $25 a boat is that JN will set up right at the entrance to Muscamoot Bay. That way the township and the people trying to make the money it can see and hear the party, while they sit in ticket booths and beer tents wondering why nobody came to their island.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered

Bunch of crap. We will just move ti 1 mile north to the Moot, where there is no land and 3 foot of water like every other weekend. Why does there need to be land involved????
Old 04-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered

This is another example of someone telling you what is good for you. Another group of self rightious people making moral decisions for everyone. It sure seems to me that there is many more important issues that need to be addressed in Michigan and the USA than the jobbienooner. The city of Detroit is almost in bankruptcey, hundreds of teachers accross the state are getting laid off, Detroit is out of control with murder, gas prices through the roof, men and women dying every day in Iraq, but we are going to shut down this evil jobbienooner because it's bad for us. Geez

Thanks, I'll get off my soap box now.

Quick Reply: Gull Island / Lake St. Clair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.