Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Two killed in Jet Ski accident in Pinellas County FL. >

Two killed in Jet Ski accident in Pinellas County FL.

Notices

Two killed in Jet Ski accident in Pinellas County FL.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Two killed in Jet Ski accident in Pinellas County FL.

Its unfortunate that these accidents occur, but jetski's/waverunners cause alot of problems for all of us. After all the commotion is over its always the powerboaters fault regardless the the cause. Heaven forbid its a high performance boat then all the headlines would say "fast out of control boat hits jetski". Everyone says that high performance boaters should take training which I don't disagree with, but how about all these people buying jetski's/waverunners. When there involved 9 times out of 10 its there fault and we get blamed for it!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead
Looks like 6155.20 the lowest if I want to boat this year. I guess Im gonna pay it and put it up or sale. I cant afford not to have it as hurricane season approaches, not to mention takin someone out on a sea trial.
A few years ago, someone suggested I check with the company that insures my business. Ever since then the insurance rates for my boat have dropped 66% even when I owned the CAT
Old 05-23-2005, 05:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone says that high performance boaters should take training which I don't disagree with, but how about all these people buying jetski's/waverunners. When there involved 9 times out of 10 its there fault and we get blamed for it!!!
In Floridah all boat owners born after a certain date must take and pass a safe boating course before being allowed to register the vessel. That includes jet-ski's too.

Yesterday we had our boat out for the first time this season. There was well over a dozen PWC's out running around. Later in the day we came to the rescue of a boatload, and I mean boatload, of people who blew their outdrive. As we towed them back a pair of PWC's crossed our bow not more than 20' in front of us. It wasn't a case where they were coming at us in a straight line, they turned suddenly then crossed our bow. All I could do was watch.
Another thing we saw was a bass boat loaded to the gunwales with passengers. We counted 14 people on board. They ranged from littile kids to elderly adults. I'll guarantee that boat was waaay overloaded and the owner didn't have enough jackets for everyone. Not one soul on board was waring a flotation device, not even the kids. Where's the cops when you want them?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:50 AM
Registered

The cops were the ones driving the bass boat and the jet skis...most likely drunk as shunks
Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heard about it last night.
One local and one tourist on a jet ski. Very sad.
John's Pass is not a good place to be screwing around.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Local paper says :

Investigators are looking into whether alcohol was a factor in the crash.

The operator of the 29-foot power catamaran, Miguel A. Alvarado, 38, refused to submit to a Breathalyzer exam or a field sobriety test after the collision, according to Gary Morse, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which is investigating.

Florida authorities are waiting for test results from a blood sample provided by Alvarado to see if any charges will be filed.

Morse said investigators still are trying to sort out what happened. The collision occurred in a heavily traveled waterway called John's Pass in southern Pinellas County near Madeira Beach. Morse described the area as a popular recreation area on the Gulf of Mexico and one of the most congested waterways in Florida, with Jet Skis and other personal watercraft mingling among larger powerboats heading in a steady line into and out of the gulf.

"There was a collision," Morse said. "We don't know which vehicle was at fault. We have impounded both vehicles."

Authorities are gathering potential evidence from the two vehicles and interviewing about 18 to 20 people who witnessed the crash, Morse said. The investigation is expected to take a minimum of three to six weeks, he said.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/sr...,5883595.story

Last edited by boomer; 05-24-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Banned

What's really strange is that John's Pass is all idle zone.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Registered

Cuda, it appears to have happened around the bend from Johns pass to the SE
Old 05-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

The male was from Clinton CT the next town over.
He was a firefighter.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And every year they make them faster from the factory. The new Sea Doo's are 70+ mph

Quick Reply: Two killed in Jet Ski accident in Pinellas County FL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.