Business Owners Watch out for scams

Notices

Business Owners Watch out for scams

Old 04-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Business Owners Watch out for scams

I got a phone call this morning from some internet interpeting company that translates for the hearing impaired . The guy on the phone told me he was translating via internet to the customer. The customer thru translation asked me for a specific ngk spark plug. (plug # was for a jetski) When I told him that I didnot stock that # he asked what numbers I carry. I told him a few numbers then he told me he wanted 500 NGK br6fs (big block chevy plug)'. He asked me how much it would be , plus shipping. They would be shipped to Nigeria .He said he was shipping them to a client there.I told him I only take cash, united states postal money order or a check from a local NY bank. After the translator told him that there was no more response. So look out !!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Business Owners Watch out for scams

Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like quite a deal. Wonder what they were going to do with the 500 spark plugs if you would have sent them? I get sick of hearing these scam stories...sure could go for a "feel good" story rather than the bad stuff all the time. What people won't do for the almighty dollar that's for sure.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow I can't believe you posted this, I just got screwed over by the damn Nigerians 3 weeks ago. We sell industrial pumps and got a call from Nigeria for a quantity of 8 water pumps (the pumps totaled about $6000). Everything looked good and they gave us a credit card number and everything. We also called the bank and they said the cards checked out ok. Then they called to order more, and used a different credit card. When we called the bank they flipped out and said don't ship the pumps, don't ship anything to Nigeria. To make a long story short it was a scam, they were using fake credit cards. Now we're stuck with over $6000 of pumps we don't need, and the factory wants to charge a 25% restocking fee. Anyone need some Goulds Water Pumps at cost? Damn Nigerians!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gotime34
Wow I can't believe you posted this, I just got screwed over by the damn Nigerians 3 weeks ago. We sell industrial pumps and got a call from Nigeria for a quantity of 8 water pumps (the pumps totaled about $6000). Everything looked good and they gave us a credit card number and everything. We also called the bank and they said the cards checked out ok. Then they called to order more, and used a different credit card. When we called the bank they flipped out and said don't ship the pumps, don't ship anything to Nigeria. To make a long story short it was a scam, they were using fake credit cards. Now we're stuck with over $6000 of pumps we don't need, and the factory wants to charge a 25% restocking fee. Anyone need some Goulds Water Pumps at cost? Damn Nigerians!!!
I would think in that case you should take it up with the bank. The bank ok'd the charge, then they should have to pay the restocking fee. If not, it seems like a perfect contender for a claim against them.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Registered

A few years ago the scams were coming from Indonesia. We had a customer call and order 4 of our more expensive calipers and used a credit card. Our card processing company processed the card after we had them go through additional steps to verify the card. 3 weeks later the same customer ordered pads and rotors so we processed the order and again shipped. 3 months later someone was calling us trying to figure out why we had been charging their card and then our processing company reversed the charges stating the card was used fraudulently. They approved the transaction twice, got their % of the sales, charged the full amount back to our account and charged us a charge back fee. Talk about getting a f'in. We were out the product, shipping, processing fees and charge-back fees and all the processing company could say is that is one of the problems with international transactions. The credit card processing company made as much off that transaction as the SOB that stole the product. I have noting good to say about accepting credit cards and try not to take them from any of my customers(we do not do retail sales) but since I do a large part of my business international, I have to take them for some transactions. I prefer bank drafts or wire transfers.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

The bottom line is the merchant is vulnerable. I just spoke to my credit card processor, because I was worried about a credit card transaction that seemed a bit out of the ordinary. They told me all a person has to do is dispute a charge and stand by it, and the merchant is out everything. It seems like the merchants are really getting scr*wed on this. They said the only transactions which hold weight are those where the customer enters a PIN, either at the terminal, or online.

Ever notice too that there seems to be no end in sight on the credit card discount rates rising?

Michael

Originally Posted by pachangalpina
3 months later someone was calling us trying to figure out why we had been charging their card and then our processing company reversed the charges stating the card was used fraudulently. They approved the transaction twice, got their % of the sales, charged the full amount back to our account and charged us a charge back fee. Talk about getting a f'in. We were out the product, shipping, processing fees and charge-back fees and all the processing company could say is that is one of the problems with international transactions. The credit card processing company made as much off that transaction as the SOB that stole the product. I have noting good to say about accepting credit cards and try not to take them from any of my customers(we do not do retail sales) but since I do a large part of my business international, I have to take them for some transactions. I prefer bank drafts or wire transfers.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
Angry Re: Business Owners Watch out for scams

TTT.

I want to keep this on top for a while so nobody gets screwed by these assh*les .........
Old 04-11-2005, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's pretty amazing to me that the processers are allowed to backcharge us with NO recourse...

Lost 12,000.00 on a transaction where we had the card in our hands, but it didnt swipe.. Manually entered it, and called it in for approval. Got the approval code, photocopied the card and the users ID, and when we got hit with the BC the processer referred us to our terms of service... Needless to say, we do not take AMEX any more.....
Old 04-11-2005, 05:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I got a call from a woman who said she was checking to see if I would accept a card for paymnet from one of my dealers and would there be a fee, I told her depending on the dealer and their pay history, I would consider it However, it had to be paid by the 10th on a net 30. I wouldnt allow thempay it late or I would impose a fee and the charge, I only pay 1.5% on my charges so I'm not too pressed about it. She also told me the dealer didnt wish to be identified at this point, thought that was kind of weird...I never have or ever will take AMEX, please leave it at home!! they suck for vendors...Rob
Old 05-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Registered

Thought Id push this back to the top.
We just got a call from a Translater for a deaf client that wanted to purchase 3 welders via credit card. We didnt take the order.

What is the angle with this translation thing? Anyone know?

Quick Reply: Business Owners Watch out for scams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.