Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How to afford the boat you want.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/103944-how-afford-boat-you-want.html)

Ca$hed Out 05-23-2005 09:46 PM

How to afford the boat you want....

This post is for everyone on this forum with a $150k+ boat.

I was at the SML Poker Run this weekend in my 28' Nordic Heat (which I feel is a nice boat), and as I look around , I realize that I am very small and very slow at 70 MPH :). How do I get into that 37' Active Thunder or 38' Hustler with the twin 525's or 575's? Better yet, how about the 43' Nortech I dream about each night?

I feel I make a good living but I can't seem to swallow a $1500/month boat payment - am I missing something? Of course, my intent here is not to be offensive or in any way, shape or form learn of anyone's income however, I feel like I something is amiss? Is there a trick to taking a loan for the boat of your dreams or do you just have to straight up afford it?

I had a beat on a 32' Sunsation Innovator I found in my price range ($125) however, I am now asking myself if I will be happy when I am still surrounded by larger and still faster boats.

Anyone have $.02 they can throw at me? I will put in towards the down payment on my next boat :).

OkieTunnel 05-23-2005 09:57 PM

Re: How to afford the boat you want....

Plan A is to make lots of money!

mopower 05-23-2005 10:00 PM

Plan B , marry money ...it's easier :D :D

Sean H 05-23-2005 10:02 PM

all else fails, follow plan A and B..... :D

FOUNTAINATLAST 05-23-2005 10:07 PM

Bust your a$$ working and go deep into debt. Isn't that the American way :D :D

stecz20 05-23-2005 10:08 PM

you know the answer to that age old question.. if you need to ask, its not for you.... i whore out cuda for fuel money... the old gals love him... stecz

OkieTunnel 05-23-2005 10:14 PM

Ok, OK, i am going to be more constructive...buy a cat or always feel underpowered and undersized :eek:

What are you thinking with a single engine V BOTTOM!!! :D :D :D

H20 Toie 05-23-2005 10:17 PM

No matter what you have someone is going to have something bigger or faster you just need to get something you enjoy and not worry about what the jones have.

hillbilly24 05-23-2005 10:33 PM

whatever you do, don't overextend yourself. It makes the whole thing misrable and that's not what it's suppost to be about. You want to be able to afford the gas and the maintenance and the insurace and not have fights over finances witht he wife, Boats don't end marriages it's that payments that do. Like H2 toie said, don't worry about everyone else. Are you unhappy cuase you don't like your boat and ther performance you get out of it, or are you unhappy cuase you aren't the big dog ? If it's the first option then by all means see what you can do to get yourself into something more to your likeing, but if it's the second option then leave it alone. By the way a 28' Nordic IS a nice boat and I would be more then proud to own it.

OkieTunnel 05-23-2005 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by h20 toie
No matter what you have someone is going to have something bigger or faster you just need to get something you enjoy and not worry about what the jones have.

This kind of boating is all about the Jones's or else we would all still be in 16ft Glastrons! You need to keep up! Ok, Ok, Warlock cat for less than the 125k you were going to spend. Really neat to look over at that Cigarette Cafe next to you in a Poker Run (cost more then you), Hit the go sticks and walk away. Helicopter camera guy that got it all on video...cool also. You can spend less than 125k (a little) and go 100-110 (Dependably) in a well selected twin engine cat. (No little
25 or so singles, they are toys in a serious water or serious poker runs) Look at Warlock 31sxt, Spectre 30, American Offshore 31. Offshore and Warlock are much more substantial boats but Spectre may be faster with same power.