Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Florida, we don't want to feel your pain.  Stop importing these things.. :) >

Florida, we don't want to feel your pain. Stop importing these things.. :)

Notices

Florida, we don't want to feel your pain. Stop importing these things.. :)

Old 05-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Florida, we don't want to feel your pain. Stop importing these things.. :)

Who's got the A-1 sauce and baked potatoes???

Mmmmmmm..... manatee (say it like Homer Simpson).

Man is the general public mis-informed about these things or what????
Old 05-24-2005, 01:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: Florida, we don't want to feel your pain. Stop importing these things.. :)

OK, I'm probably gonna get jumped on here for this, but after doing some reading, I like the manatees, I believe that more harm is coming to them from industrial runoff from golf courses and lawns are tearing up their environment more than run ins with power boaters. certain manatee people say it cant get out of the way off an "offshore" style boat, well at 40 mph my boat is the same as a pleasure cruiser. We collectivly have been used as scapegoats because of prop marks, sad for the manatee but true. We arent hurting their environment we are cohabitating, it's what we do on this planet. I dont see a problem with a manatee zone, it's no different than a zone that doesnt want wake because of erosion, just a different reason. I honestly feel that as powerboaters of the "offshore" varity IF we as a community offered to help, it would certainly put us in a better light with our critics. If we can attack noise laws and speed limits, I think we can be just as responsible here.

Take a few minutes to read this clip from Tres' site...
http://www.martinoffshore.com/manatee/
Old 05-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Registered

I love manatees.

They taste like chicken.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

That's a good article. I'm sure the STM organization denies all of it though.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44
Here in Texas they will block off two weeks for a hunting season before they ever protect them....
Masher, just go get one of yer 'special' tools and take care of it, willya???
Attached Thumbnails Florida, we don't want to feel your pain.  Stop importing these things.. :)-bullet.jpg  

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Angry Re: Florida, we don't want to feel your pain. Stop importing these things.. :)

$TM Club will NEVER take on golf course chemical runoff problem, it would be TOO UNPOPULAR here in FL.
Nobody hates the Manatee in FL., we just hate the SAVE-THE-MANATEE Club!
And there IS a BIG difference between an idle zone that is based on safety or science, and Manatee Zones that are based on LAWSUITS and $TM Propaganda! When we bought our house, we had a 20 minute idle, NOW that same trip is 45-60 minutes! And it's just not the idle situation either, it's being denied a dock permit to build a dock, because that means there is one more boat on the water that could hit a Manatee!

Does everyone understand the POWER the $TM Club has over the FL. Waterways?

How about the fact that the $TM OPPOSES EVERY NEW MARINA AND NEW PUBLIC BOAT RAMPS?! Brveard Co. has lost 2 new sites for PUBLIC BOAT RAMPS, because the $TM threatened to sue! I'm glad I don't have to depend on PUBLIC ACCESS to get on the water in FL., because it's going away!

Do a Manatee search here on OSO, I have posted alot of data about this subject!

I have a Fl. State report on how ineffective manatee zones are, but I can't attach the PDF, it too big!!

$TM Club does more harm than good for the Manatee!

Bottom Line:
It's not recreational boaters who are hitting manatees, BUT we are the ones being penalized! It's the commercial barges, tugs, that are the real "Manatees Maulers"!!!!!!

Mean Dean
Old 05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
$TM Club will NEVER take on golf course chemical runoff problem, it would be TOO UNPOPULAR here in FL.
Nobody hates the Manatee in FL., we just hate the SAVE-THE-MANATEE Club!
And there IS a BIG difference between an idle zone that is based on safety or science, and Manatee Zones that are based on LAWSUITS and $TM Propaganda! When we bought our house, we had a 20 minute idle, NOW that same trip is 45-60 minutes! And it's just not the idle situation either, it's being denied a dock permit to build a dock, because that means there is one more boat on the water that could hit a Manatee!

Does everyone understand the POWER the $TM Club has over the FL. Waterways?

How about the fact that the $TM OPPOSES EVERY NEW MARINA AND NEW PUBLIC BOAT RAMPS?! Brveard Co. has lost 2 new sites for PUBLIC BOAT RAMPS, because the $TM threatened to sue! I'm glad I don't have to depend on PUBLIC ACCESS to get on the water in FL., because it's going away!

Do a Manatee search here on OSO, I have posted alot of data about this subject!

I have a Fl. State report on how ineffective manatee zones are, but I can't attach the PDF, it too big!!

$TM Club does more harm than good for the Manatee!

Bottom Line:
It's not recreational boaters who are hitting manatees, BUT we are the ones being penalized! It's the commercial barges, tugs, that are the real "Manatees Maulers"!!!!!!

Mean Dean
Thats exactly my point Dean, do you think Jimmy Buffet and the other persons would go after a golf course, nope...it's so pretty and green. and they actually PLAY golf. that was my point, boaters are being penalized because we directly use the water, most persons dont see the runoff of nitrogen from a golf course. Look at what it did here to the Cheasapeake bay. collectively it would take everyone pitching in to make things better, but others want to point and blame, it makes it easier and justifies their position. Its much easier to publicize a manatee with a bloody prop mark on his back, than to show a picture of one slowly being killed by runoff. It's called propaganda.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys are ALL sick...
all members of this board should attend some wildlife conservation semminars...(seriously)

and some Bush antibrainwashing clinics too
Old 05-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds like you see the truth. If you want to know more about the Manatee Truth, please visit: www.cffw.org
It's a very worthwhile organization, that we have been due paying members of since 2000.
The only thing endangered about the Manatee is the $TM Club!
Dean
Old 05-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Banned

STM doesn't give a damn about manatees, they want to preserve the public waters for their own domain. They don't want people who don't live on the water to enjoy being on it, unless you have a blow boat.

Quick Reply: Florida, we don't want to feel your pain. Stop importing these things.. :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.