Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Noise violation? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/104447-noise-violation.html)

Stormrider 05-31-2005 01:34 PM

Noise violation?

The marina my boat is docked at is infront of a Condo complex. They are not affiliated/associated w/ each other.

The stern of the boat faces the condos, about 100-150 yards away. Yesterday @ 6:30am I was revving the engine 2000+rpm (something in the carb) and woke up the entire condo complex. :eek: :eek:
All kind of complaints!
They cited the village code, that there is no noise before 7:30am and after 8pm, and all day sunday.

Does this apply to the marina too?
I understand I was wrong in doing this so early in the morning, but these village sound codes you'd think pertain to lawn mowers and construction of the sort.

So, could they really have something on me?
Or is this some gray area of the law, or maritime law?

In the meantime, I've done some smooth talking and eased the situation... so no big fines or "jail time".

fund razor 05-31-2005 01:42 PM

Re: Noise violation?

Sounds like a PR problem that you are handling with a PR solution.

If your question is whether you are safe because the law stopped at the end of the dock, I doubt it.

I ride on jets all the time that have to go out over the ocean or great lake to power up. (Think Orange County... is that John Wayne airport?) I don't think that the noise regulation stops at the beach.

We have a sound law (never enforced) in our town about those dam Ricers and their boom boom systems. A cop can give you a citation if he can hear the noise from farther than 50 feet away.

I bet that if I am on the other side of the county line, with my stereo cranked up, and the cop hears it on his side of the line I have still broken the law.

Your sound may have started in the Marina, but it was when your sound HIT THE WALLS OF THE CONDO that you started waking people up.

My guess is that they have you... and that you are doing the right thing by making nice.

Good luck.

DollaBill 05-31-2005 01:42 PM

Laugh at them and move on. You could get a "disturbing the peace" thing from the police, but I wouldn't worry about that.

fund razor 05-31-2005 01:44 PM

See. Bill has lousy PR skills.

:drink:

Kidding Bill.

Stormrider 05-31-2005 01:55 PM

Would it be civil or criminal and be on my record?

I doubt I'll be going out at 6.30 again, but i should be able to use my boat when i want to. You can be I wont be revving it that early. :D

BRUCE SEROFF 05-31-2005 01:58 PM

All townships have noise violation codes and vary depending on the juristiction. But, any loud noise (doesnt matter what kind) during early morning or late nite hours is considered disturbing the peace. Im sure the cops would give you a warning first.

Honestly though, If I was sleeping early on a weekend morning with the windows open, and someone decided to run a loud boat engine, I would complain too.

Last week, I was at a friends BBQing on a sunday nite. (bout 6:30pm) And some numb nutz in the yard next door was using a commercial grade leaf blower. Sounded like he had open headers on this thing! Anyway, we asked him nicely to shut it down. he refused. So the cops came and gave him a summons. plain and simple.

BRUCE SEROFF 05-31-2005 02:00 PM

It would be a mistemeanor (sp) charge. non criminal

sellsman11 05-31-2005 02:04 PM

What does the water look like at 6:30 AM??!!

fund razor 05-31-2005 02:05 PM

Stormrider....

Your signature says it all.
With great power comes great responsibility.

I think that even though you enjoy many freedoms, that you have a responsiblity to balance your needs and desires with the needs and desires of others.

I would have been p*ssed off if you did that to me.
But if you had been cool about it (like it seems that you are) I would have gotten over it right away and had no grudge.

Personally... I stayed away from thru hulls because I wanted to be able to sneak up on a dock. :D

fund razor 05-31-2005 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by sellsman11
What does the water look like at 6:30 AM??!!

Like glass. You should see it.