Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect >

Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

Notices

Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

I don't know why I'm even considering this since I have put so much into the Sonic, but I am thinking about a change.

What can I expect out of the Superboat? Handling, speeds, ride comfort? The Sonic is a great rough water boat, but the waters I boat on really do not get too hairy. What about difference in beam? Aside from not much cockpit room, does it help or hinder the ride. The only time we use the cabin is for the potti or for shelter from rain, no overnighting, so a plush cabin is not needed.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 11:47 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

Well I hate to see it since you have rebuilt just about everything on your boat. But, Superboats are built local and John C makes terrific boats, no doubt about it. Returns phone calls too. <gg> Single engine and 7 foot beam. I doubt you will find a better riding boat in that size range.

http://www.superboatonline.com/30p.html
Old 06-02-2005, 01:04 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Default Re: Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

john is a good guy and biulds a quality boat. If youa re looking for ammenities they are a tad lacking there BUT you cannot come clos e to thier performance for the $$$. They are the corvettes o fthe baoting world. ferrari perforamnce with a chevy price tag.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Registered

I may be the wrong person to be responding in this thread but since I have seen you boat with your lovely wife and now the new addition I have to chime in here. Superboats are decent for the money!!! The quality part I am not so sure about.

I have seen many Superboats on the Island and will admit that they are pretty quick with big power. You can not knock the numbers for the money from a superboat. But you do get what you pay for...

If I were you I would look at some other manufacturers. My choice would be Progression or Kryptonite if I were you Kendall...

Both of them are better Quality boats then the Superboat.... Just my .02
Old 06-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Registered

Sunsation, if you want one engine!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Titan
Superboats are decent for the money!!! The quality part I am not so sure about.
Hey Titan,

Please explain the specific areas where you think the quality is lacking. I know Superboats are not ALL composite material and they don't vacuum bag but what else?

Dave M.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I dont question there quality at all ..everyone ive seen has been well built .And the older ones hold up very well.
Y2K will handle the rough better than a 31 sonic. However you will give up some frills
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Registered

Dave

If my comment offended anyone I am sorry. It is my opinion that the Superboats quality is lacking in the finishing dept as well as being behind the times as you have stated, not vacume bagging or using the latest composite materials. I know of a few people who have cracked their hulls. Also I have seen many come out of the shop where the engine hatch does not even close without hitting the deck of the boat. I believe because the hatch was not square when it was made. Also for the type of boating I do a 7ft beam would not do me any good for encouraging the wife to like the boat.
I do not want to turn this into a bashing session on any boat builder. Especially since I do support the local builders here on L.I. My only reason for comenting here was to lend some advice for whatever it is worth to a guy who I have boated with before. And see often at my summer house out east.

Last edited by Titan; 06-02-2005 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Ken -

Wassup !????

I think the biggest difference you'll see is the beam.....the one foot is definitely a big change from where you've been but many say that the narrow design really helps in rough water.

As Puder said, its the Corvette of the high performance boating world......I would do yourself a favor and at least check out some other, local builders just to compare price, etc...

The Apache will probably get wet next weekend so let me know if you plan to be around !

- -Wesa
Old 06-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Titan,

No offense taken. I know the competition is fierce up there. I know Supers are not perfect. I have a '24 not a Y2k. At certain angles I can see "print through" of the fiberglass mat on mine. My engine hatch is not perfect either. My cabin doors are made of starboard.

I hear statements on OSO all the time, usually without supporting info. "Cigarettes are better than Bajas", maybe so but tell me SPECIFICALLY why.

Back to the original question.... The 31 Sonic and the Y2K are certainly much different boats. The Sonic being more "pleasure" orientated, the Y2K more "race" orientated. I like my boat because of the simplicity. Nothing to rattle or break. Supers are light, fast, bare bones boats. The 7' beam does not bother me, my usual crew is 2 adults, 2 kids. If you like hauling around a lot of passengers, then it's a problem. Sonics are heavy, not so fast, solid riding pleasure boats. I was talking to a guy with a '45 Sonic. I said "this thing must handle ANY water". He said sure, but all the stuff in the cabin shakes and rattles.

Dave

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching from 31 Sonic to a Superboat Y2K, what to expect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.