Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cable steering question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/104729-cable-steering-question.html)

onesickpantera 06-03-2005 06:43 PM

Cable steering question

I have quite a bit of play at the helm and I know nothing about this cable sytem. My other boats had internal hydraulic or full external. Is there adjustments that can be made or do I just replace the whole cable? If so how do you replace the cable?

I'm going to full hydraulic over the winter but want the boat safe for this year.

n2boatn2 06-03-2005 07:24 PM

Re: Cable steering question

I have a similar problem I tried 4 blades and the boat went crazy at wot takes a little jerk to the right and then returns to its normal place when you slow down I'm thinking maybe a Gimbel problem.

onesickpantera 06-03-2005 09:39 PM

Mine is definitely in the steering. My gimbal(if that's what Volvo calls it) assy is solid as a rock.

I'm thinking I have a stretched/worn out cable. I guess I need to take the helm apart and see what makes it tick.

All I know is it's a shi**y system.

el indio 06-03-2005 09:52 PM

for single cable try a cable with opening at helm.......like a second station steering cable..............with no first station.............m.m.........

onesickpantera 06-03-2005 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, since I have to have my azz up at 7am I'm not drinking tonight. Went out and took the back of the helm off. Looks like the cable wraps around a pulley and then into a "tube" which I am assuming is for the excess cable as the wheel turns.

Well the cable itself moves immediately when you turn the wheel. But it takes about 3/4" of pulley movement before it moves the drive. I'm guessing the other end of the cable goes into the hydraulic cylinder and puts pressure against it and that's how the cylinder moves in or out.

So, if the cable is stretched would this cause this play? My guess is yes but then again I am hoping that this is the problem. Here's a pic of the back of the helm.

Pantera1 06-04-2005 12:43 PM

First place you usually get some slop is the top steering arm to gimbal joint. Get inside the boat and watch it while someone on the outside moves the lower left and right.. Cable steering is safe to a certain speed but will always give feedback to the wheel ..hydraulic doesnt..

onesickpantera 06-04-2005 04:09 PM

There is zero slop in the gimbal ring, tiller, steering arm, etc. My last boat had a lot of slop at the gimbal and I had it repaired and put full hydraulic on it.

I move the wheel, the cable moves(you can see it) but the steering doesn't right away.

Pantera1 06-05-2005 11:22 AM

Man id just order a seastar hydraulic setup , and be done with it .

onesickpantera 06-05-2005 07:14 PM

I'm not going to waste my time with anything internal. Looks like the play I have is normal. I'll live with it until I go full hydraulic external.

robyw1 06-18-2005 08:24 PM

I have noticed mine has a little cable movement too. I wish I knew how to adjust this out if possible. Any reccomendations short of going full hydraulic steering?

Roby