Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   26' Corsa (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/104799-26-corsa.html)

Corsa Quest 06-05-2005 11:19 AM

26' Corsa

I know there was a thread on these boats a while ago, but it left me with more questions than answers. First, are they still in production...semi custom or otherwise? I remember talking to Bob Bower roughly 10 years ago, who I believe owned Corsa at the time and was building the boats out of Opa Locka, FLA. Is he still building these boats? Second, who designed the 26? Is it an original or a knock off of something else? I have always been a fan of them because they have relatively large strakes, long lower strakes, ride pretty level and handle the rough very well. There seems to be a big difference in the build of the boats. I've seen some that were built around 1983 that do not have the hull to deck joint glassed together. That same boat also was built so light that you could literally flex the fairing under the windshield by hand. The hull was full of stress cracks as was the deck. On the other hand I've seen some built in the later 80's and mid 90's that are built like tanks...glassed joints and much more substantial overall construction. Is this typical of these boats or are there indeed years to avoid? Finally, someone has a rediculously overpriced 1979 white 26' Corsa for sale on Boattrader.com, but it doesn't have the typical crease down the side (the area on the hull side which is a bit wider than the rest of it about 4 inches below the deck). Does anybody know what the story is with this? I guess it could be a cut down hull. I know Bower built the Martini also. The 25 looked like a 24' Excalibur and the 26 looked like a dead ringer for the Corsa. Is it indeed the same mold? I'm looking to find a decent old hull, ex-race boat or otherwise. If anyone has any information on these boats, it would be greatly appreciated.

CQ

Fast Shafts 06-06-2005 08:11 AM

Re: 26' Corsa

Corsa Q,

The "rediculously overpriced" Corsa in NJ is beautiful! The owner completely stripped the boat, painted it, and replaced the original TRS with a new Bravo I, the engine is also a brand new 496 HO. This boat shows as "new".
If your interested in a race hull, I've got a 24' Sunsation Race boat for sale, structually excellent, needs paint, will sell w/ or w/o engine or drive. See Sunsation Forum, "1993 24' Sunsation" for more info and pics.

BODYSHOT1 06-06-2005 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you should try to get in touch w/Steve Miklos..he has one of the most successful 26's built..I drove it a bit last year..handles like it's on rails...Steve has alot of info on the brand as well....

Originally Posted by Corsa Quest
I know there was a thread on these boats a while ago, but it left me with more questions than answers. First, are they still in production...semi custom or otherwise? I remember talking to Bob Bower roughly 10 years ago, who I believe owned Corsa at the time and was building the boats out of Opa Locka, FLA. Is he still building these boats? Second, who designed the 26? Is it an original or a knock off of something else? I have always been a fan of them because they have relatively large strakes, long lower strakes, ride pretty level and handle the rough very well. There seems to be a big difference in the build of the boats. I've seen some that were built around 1983 that do not have the hull to deck joint glassed together. That same boat also was built so light that you could literally flex the fairing under the windshield by hand. The hull was full of stress cracks as was the deck. On the other hand I've seen some built in the later 80's and mid 90's that are built like tanks...glassed joints and much more substantial overall construction. Is this typical of these boats or are there indeed years to avoid? Finally, someone has a rediculously overpriced 1979 white 26' Corsa for sale on Boattrader.com, but it doesn't have the typical crease down the side (the area on the hull side which is a bit wider than the rest of it about 4 inches below the deck). Does anybody know what the story is with this? I guess it could be a cut down hull. I know Bower built the Martini also. The 25 looked like a 24' Excalibur and the 26 looked like a dead ringer for the Corsa. Is it indeed the same mold? I'm looking to find a decent old hull, ex-race boat or otherwise. If anyone has any information on these boats, it would be greatly appreciated.

CQ

Corsa Quest 06-06-2005 08:38 PM

Robert, indeed the boat in Jersey looks beautifully done and I know that 496 and Bravo package doesn't come cheap, but I think it's going to be hard to find someone willing to pay 39K for that boat when, last I checked, the old Subluxator/Radioactive racing boat was not going for that money. Great boats all of them, but the market doesn't seem to bear those prices for 2 seat 26' boats...especially one built in 1979. I personally think those boats are worth a lot more than they tend to get for them, but hey, even I won't pay that much for one, I'd never see it when I go to sell it myself. Thanks for the info though. While the Sunsation is a nice hull, I'm bent on the Corsa. I've wanted one since I first saw one back in 83. I don't think you can do much better in a 26' V-Hull.

dave911 06-07-2005 12:49 AM

I've had my eye on that same corsa. Nice boat.
Bet you could cut $10K off the price with a phone call...

lightspeed 06-07-2005 07:07 AM

Theres a 26 Corsa On Long Island Young Tom From Lighthouse boat Transport Has One 4 Sale It Was The Old Johnny red Race Boat Turned Into A Bay Bomber That Boat won The Worlds In KeyWest In The Late 80s And There Is Another With A Pair Of 200s Runs 80 That I Know Of Call lighthouse Harley Ask For Dom In ServiceHe Has The One With The 200s Both Those Boats Used To Be Mine They Are Great Runnin Boats They eat Up Rough Water

Corsa Quest 06-07-2005 07:32 AM

Yeah, I know the guy who bought the old Johhny Red from him. He put a big cubic inch engine in it and swapped the TRS for a Bravo. From what I hear it's running extremely fast. Ideally I'm after a stern drive boat. I've been around boats for 20+ years and outboards still are a mystery to me.
Since you owned one, was the hull to deck joint glassed on your boat?

Corsa Quest 06-07-2005 07:37 AM

Well, Since you owned the old Johnny Red, was that double wide stringer something you added or maybe something that whoever raced added. I think that had a glassed hull deck joint too. How was the outboard boat built relative to the old Johnny Red? I'd love to find another one that is a stout as that boat. Do you know who designed that hull? Doesn't really make any difference, but I am curious.

muffman 06-07-2005 09:54 AM

Corsa Quest, I sent you a pm.

lightspeed 06-07-2005 03:50 PM

That Double Stringer ! When I Went To Pick The Boat up They laid The Stringer Crooked So i Made Them Fix It And Thats How They Did It . Boy Was I Pissed . That Boat Was a 1985 Hull and Deck Was Glassed Up . That Boat Was One Of The Best running For Its Size Fastest I Had It Was 84 With a 466 12.5 comp Full Roller With TRS Drive What a Boat . I Thought They Were Still In Buisness . Two Brothers John And Bob They were From Huntington NY Moved To fla years Ago I Believe They Took a Copy Of a Old 27 Excaliber Speedster The Other 26 I Had I Rigged With 200s That Boat Went 83 Best 80 allday Long Another Good running Boat That One was A 1986