Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
HPI mufflers- meet Loto sound ordinance. >

HPI mufflers- meet Loto sound ordinance.

Notices

HPI mufflers- meet Loto sound ordinance.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI mufflers- meet Loto sound ordinance.

Have been doing R&D with Dan at HPI and have found the slid in's and clamp ons lowering a pair of eickert 1,000hp down 12 decibels. These are the same mufflers mercury is using and have approved on the 1075efi with their conservative backflo and loss of Hp restrictions. Have tried the new 5" clamp on slid in, 6" claqmp on and slide in, have tried on wet 850 nortech's on 5" and got to 90 decibels, Putting them on 1188hp ^" nortech's this weekend. This will be the big test as they come straight out the back of the transom, Dan has told me they will work until they find a muffler that will conform with the j-2005 law in high performance applications, have tried several other manufacturers without success. Thanks Dan for your help. We are getting close to having this solved. Anyone at Loto who needs some call me or Dan at HPi we can set you up for reasonable costs. Jim Midwest performance marine 636 236-4141. your loto Nortech dealer
Old 05-31-2005, 07:11 PM
JC
Registered

Default Re: HPI mufflers- meet Loto sound ordinance.

I have HPIs which came on my 04 tiger (525s) and was tested this weekend at 92 db with the j-2005 test... any suggestions, and do you have Dans number at HPI
Old 05-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Banned

so far they have been very good to work with and seem to have the newest technology to meet the criteria acceptable for legal sound, other than cmi;s new muffler than is an arm and a leg and requires the tailpipes to be sent off and your boat is down. the Hpi's are the only mufflers that have shown promise on big horsepower. they have shown no power loss and have been very cooperative to try to make a product that is legal at whatever costs.Have'nt found anyone else with the technology to produce anything close to legal. anybody else have any problems with hpi please let me know so I can address them with Dan. We are all working hard to tests these new products at loto. I dont think mercury would be involved with a company that is not competent.JC depending on which muffler you have there are a few items they are working on that can bring you legal. number is on their website. thanks jim

Last edited by wiggler4490; 05-31-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Registered

Troutly, maybe you could give us all "permission to run loud pipes" notes.......
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I have HPI,s on my boat with 525,s,and my only complaint;The boat is too quiet!!
Old 05-31-2005, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We put the new Gibson clamp ons on our Top Gun with big Pfaff motors and could not believe how quiet it was either...
Attached Thumbnails HPI mufflers- meet Loto sound ordinance.-imgp0326.jpg  
Old 05-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

We tried the ggb's on get r' done with nortech 850's and they were louder than the original slide in's. they did not work. the gibsons are turn downs and wont work on the 6" nortech cat tailpipes. also there is the wet vs. dry exhaust and with cmi tailpipes the area the water exits creats a void and lets out exhaust. hpi is also working on this problem as you can only fit a 5.25od in a 6.0od tailpipe. your right troutly probably cant change any law, but actually there is no sound law in place only a recommended procedure which the coast gaurd has offered as a guideline. the water patrol can implement the test as they see fit. You can fight it and probably win, but they can still give you a ticket and have you park your boat for the weekend, which is also illegal. Shortly switchable exhaust will be illegal if in open position does not comply. they will be obsolete and anyone who sells a boat not legal is subject to a class c misdemeanor. I'm spending a ton of money with lawyers, manufacturers, dealers, muffler companies trying to keep the powerboaters in good graces with mo. water patrol. We need alot of help and everyone who has joined the powerboat club is concerned and trying to help as well.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Originally Posted by HUSTLEthis
We put the new Gibson clamp ons on our Top Gun with big Pfaff motors and could not believe how quiet it was either...
Are those switchable mufflers though? I don't think they are legal at LOTO if they are switchable.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:20 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
Are those switchable mufflers though? I don't think they are legal at LOTO if they are switchable.
i don't think gibson makes switchables....
Old 05-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We had cmi switchables before on our Hustler and sold them..
Those are straight mufflers...Not loud enough for the wife..

Quick Reply: HPI mufflers- meet Loto sound ordinance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.