Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the worst conditions you have been out in? >

What's the worst conditions you have been out in?

Notices

What's the worst conditions you have been out in?

Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: What's the worst conditions you have been out in?

Not bad compared to most, but worst was several months after I got my first boat....a 26 bayliner cruiser. Solid 6 footers crossing the Cheaspeake bay. Every wave came over the pulpit to the windshield and would wash off the sides beside the glass. We were following several other large boats and they were very concerned because we had our 11 month old with us. (he slept the whole way!)
Just got a performance boat this winter, I plan on venturing more into open water and surely will have more stories to come!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:20 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, when boating I prefer to see blue sky, rather than a wall of water in front of me. <gg>

Funny part is on the sailing race across the Atlantic to the U.K., the sailboats were 70 to 260 feet, the waves were seven feet off Pert Amboy, but I did not see mention of any problems with the sea conditions at the start. <gg>

Later, many of the sailboats were damaged by strong storms offshore. Gotta give those sailboaters credit. No way would I be out there.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Registered

The worst water I have been in was 5-6 footers on Lake Erie in a 21' bass boat. We made the mistake of not judging the wind properly and ended up in a mess. A normal 15 minute run turned into an hour before we could get to smoother water!

The 2nd worst was in Lake Michigan in my brothers 33' Powerplay, we were heading out when a 45' Sea Ray was waving us back in because it had water splashing over the bimini top! We went out anyways and basically found some 8 footers with monsterous holes that ate that 33 footer to the point that you couldn't see shore. My bro ran with it and took a few right up to the rub rail but it was nasty & fun at the same time!!!!

These types of conditions let you know if you made a good purchase on your equipment!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I had to get the boat back to Spinnaker in order to catch my flight on time. According to the Fort Lauderdale news, the waves were 12-15 feet with a small craft warning. My top speed was about 35mph the whole way. Made it fine, but the water was enormous.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
worst conditions...ex-girlfrined with a never ending yap..told her to stifle it or she is swimming back. luckily we met at the pier that day,she had her own car I took her back in and said get out
BEEN THERE! I'll take Mother Nature any day over that.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

Last October in Northern Michigan left work early because the weather was so good, 70ish in October in N Michigan is rare. Took my 86' 357 Formula out to Beaver Island, 30 miles out from Charlavoix, Mi. we rode some 5-6's out there. Dinner ended up being late so we stayed the night. Woke up the next morning it was 40 degrees, wind changed to out of the North. Looked at the weather chart at the Harbor winds to 35-45mph seas 12-14'. I really considered having my boat winterized and stored on the Island, and flying back.
We decided to motor out and it didn't seem bad until we passed the end of the Island. By then we were committed! Luckily we were running the with them(thank god) I have never been so cold and wet in my life. I would be full throttle getting up the back sides of the waves and barely making it. Had to run the Pumps the whole time because the waves kept coming over the side. If just one engine quit, It would of got real ugly. 30 miles seemed like an eternity. I had my co-pilot staring at the gps to get me int the Charlavoix Harbor. If I would have missed the Harbor, turning back into the waves would have been nearly impossible. I was thanking my lucky stars at the end of that day. There are not many people around to help in late October in Northern Michigan. I say I will never do that again but I'm sure there will come a time.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

10 t0 12's trying go from North Port to Leland on Lake Michigan, the water gets scary big up there and can do so real quick, my lastest 41 should handle those water up there better. Steve
Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
Last year I had to get the boat back to Spinnaker in order to catch my flight on time. According to the Fort Lauderdale news, the waves were 12-15 feet with a small craft warning. My top speed was about 35mph the whole way. Made it fine, but the water was enormous.
Was it worse than the day we took the Gun from Spinnaker to Lauderdale, when we were down for the National Championship game this year. That day was the worst for me, If you don't count the day I had to swim in 3s to get away from the flames on an old 38 cig.

You missed a fun Poker Run this weekend @ LOTO. Hope you're going this weekend.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine was a few years go in my Panther. We went across the bay in the AM and it was beautiful. In the afternoon the wind kicked up out of the North East pretty hard. The ride home was rough as hell! At one point I remember riding up the crest and back down the backs of the swells. I don't know how big they were, but for a 30 ft. boat to ride up and back down the other side they must have been about 10 ft. On top of the swell was a 5-6 ft. chop.

When we got back, one of the bulkheads separated from the side of the boat. The radio was completely knocked out of the cabinet and my wrist hurt for two weeks.

It was in mid-october and about 60 - 65 degress. For me that was the worst. Never thought I would be so happy to be home and I think my crew felt the same way.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Ward
Was it worse than the day we took the Gun from Spinnaker to Lauderdale, when we were down for the National Championship game this year. That day was the worst for me, If you don't count the day I had to swim in 3s to get away from the flames on an old 38 cig.

You missed a fun Poker Run this weekend @ LOTO. Hope you're going this weekend.
It was only worse because at least there was sunshine when you and I were out. The day I was by myself the wind was howling and has a nice drizzle to deal with. Both were BIG water rides.

We WILL be at loto this weekend! Should head up Friday morning sometime.

Quick Reply: What's the worst conditions you have been out in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.