Notices
View Poll Results: Speed Limits On Lakes
I think speed limits are great and prefer to boat on lakes that have them.
3.19%
I think speed limits are for "sallys" and wouldn't boat on a lake that hade one.
70.21%
Speed limiting on lakes would be better for local economy.
0%
Speed limiting on lakes would be very bad for local economy.
26.60%
I don't have an opinion either way.
9.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Speed limits on lakes?

Old 05-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speed limits on lakes?

With all of the buzz surrounding about a proposed speed limit, 45mph/day and 25mph/night, in New England on some of our best boating lakes I figured I'd see what the rest of you around the country though.

Thanks for your time and opinions.

Adam

Last edited by fruitta55; 05-25-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Speed limits on lakes?

if i wanted speed limits i would just drive a car all the time, much cheaper than boating....
Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Registered

The best speed limit is basic common sense.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

It really depends on the lake. One bigger lakes I don't see the need. But on smaller lakes then I might not object to a reasonable speed limit - say 150 MPH
Old 05-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, 150 is a good limit for small lakes, you know anything under 5 acres!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Registered

A speed limit during the day is ridiculous, it should be based on common sense. I do believe a speed limit at night is a good idea, it might cut down on late nite run overs!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know it's a tough question to answer when you consider the viewpoint of other people that use the lake. There is a lake in California called Elsinor, it's a nasty lake that is a murky green and smells funny but they have a great system. There is an outer ring to the lake about 100 feet wide that has a 45 MPH speed limit. The middle of the lake has no speed limit. I think this situation provides safety and comfprt for everyone on the lake, if you want to sight see or water ski, use the outside and make the standard CCW rotation, if you want to ring it out head to the middle and use common sense and watch what youa re doing. Unfortunatly the lake isn't big enough to get up to much over 80 though and like I said it is a nasty place but the idea works if you ask me and could be applied to much larger bodies of water. also most lakes in California have an idle/15 MPH speed limit after sunset wich I don't have a problem with, do we need to runniong around at any kind of speed in the pitch black, especially as by this time most of us already have atleast a few drinks in us ?

Last edited by hillbilly24; 05-26-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:00 AM
Registered

hillbilly24, I agree with what you said. I wouldn't have a problem with extending our existing speed boundaries. Currently we are not allowed to even produce a wake within 150' of shore or other boaters. A setup like you mentioned on Elsinor wouldn't bother me at all. Nor would a night time speed limit. Speed limits for the day however I feel should be based on ones own common sense.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed limits should be dictated by lake size.
Around Kissimmee and Orlando some of the lakes are small and there's not enough room to get up to speed. On one lake I has just barely gotten the boat up to WOT before I had to back down to keep from hitting the other shore. That was before I found there's a 40 MPH limit on that lake.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

150MPH is a good speed limit, only because I can't afford to go that fast! A speed limit after dark would be difficult to enforce. I don't think any speed limit should be required, but unfortunately some operators of high powered boats seem to be common sense deficient! If they would be so kind as to remove themselves from the gene pool without hurting innocent bystanders all would be well! But it never works out that way. I don't know what can be done without taking the fun out of power boating.

Quick Reply: Speed limits on lakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.