Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shortest tire life (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105423-shortest-tire-life.html)

MnFastBoat 06-12-2005 09:42 PM

Shortest tire life

Ok, I want to see if anyone can beat my mileage for the shortest life span.
I just puton 6 brand new Carlisles.
Yes I know, they are already not the best, but if you would have seen the last set that had over 10,000 miles on them you will understand why I went with them. Besides, I did not want ot spend major bucks since I hope to be replacing all hte axles with 5,200lb and will need to go with 15" tires then.

boatnt 06-12-2005 10:24 PM

Re: Shortest tire life

bias ply or radial?
bias ply are ok the radials are the problem.

FOUNTAINATLAST 06-12-2005 10:32 PM

Carlisles SUCK, I bought four brand new tires at the beginning of the season and walked the tread off three of the four by the end of the season accouple years ago. Less then 1000 miles.:eek: I've always found bias ply to last the longest. Atleast not blow out!! :D

Semper Fi 06-12-2005 10:52 PM

Carlisles are pretty bad. I have a friend who had to replace 3 out of 4 tires (they were all almost new) They had less than 1K miles on them.

t500hps 06-13-2005 07:47 AM

Man...I don't feel so bad. I bought a new boat/ trailer a couple years ago that had them. approx 1,500 miles before the tread came completely off one. Went and bought 5 new radials that week.

robyw1 06-13-2005 08:39 AM

I have 4 Carlisles and recently blew out one of them. What is happening to these tires if everyone's having problems with them? Why do you think bias ply tires are better?

Roby

t500hps 06-13-2005 09:13 AM

If Carlisle Rubber Co. decided to make condoms instead of tires....every girl in high school would be pregnant before graduation!

FOUNTAINATLAST 06-13-2005 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps
If Carlisle Rubber Co. decided to make condoms instead of tires....every girl in high school would be pregnant before graduation!

Dag Nabit BLOW OUT!!!! :D :evilb: :D

rbtnt 06-13-2005 09:22 AM

There are several threads out there on the Carlisle tires. Around 5 years ago, Goodyear made tires for Carlisle and those are the ones that they (we) had trouble with. I blew 5 of 6 with less than 5,000 miles on them.

I went with bias ply because most of the heavy equipment trailers around here use them and if you shred a bias ply, you don't a have a steal belt flopping around tearing up your trailer or the side of your boat.

mama tryed 06-14-2005 05:00 AM

I know everyone has there own opinions, but from someone in the Tire business,, a steel belted radial will out last, out preform, have a better wear pattern, run cooler, etc,, than a Bias Tire. There are a lot of options out there, but the Goodyear Marathon is the best I have found.

Mitch