Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Labbed prop poll: what were your results ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105628-labbed-prop-poll-what-were-your-results.html)

SKRAMER 06-15-2005 04:32 PM

Re: Labbed prop poll: what were your results ??

How much does it cost to have a pair of four blades labbed?

mwdill 06-15-2005 08:08 PM

about 300$-400$ depending upon who,and how much work is done.

mboger 06-15-2005 08:19 PM

I went through bblades and it picked up on midrange and top end by 4mph worth every penny

Chris288 06-16-2005 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity4Me
Chris I hoped to see you at the milk run.

We really enjoyed last years run,, meeting a bunch of people I have never met but have talked to daily for the past 3 years was fun, the lake was amazing,, but a bunch of my local's couldn't make it and I really wasn't comfortable going up alone.. not to mention it would have cost over 500.00 for fuel alone.. hopefully we will make the august run..

Chris288 06-16-2005 08:49 AM

I am not going to mention any names but after talking with a prop shop yesterday, I told the guy I was hoping for 2-3 mph on top end,, he kinda chuckled like I was dreaming.. My 26 b1 runs 4,950 @ 70 mph and my 28 b1 runs 69-70 @ 4,750, I was told I would gain 250 rpms with the labbing on the 28 so essentially I would be running the 28 the same rpm's as my 26... Why would I spend 400.00 + if he thought I wasn't going to see any gains... :rolleyes: ..

Scott 06-16-2005 09:19 AM

Chris you may try what I did. I have two sets of props one labbed that I run about 150 rpm below the rev limiters. I use these on Poker and fun runs. The other set are specifically set up for cruising speed they don't kill WOT they just are not quite as fast.
I keep them on spare prop holders on board so if something happens I always have a good prop.
I think some people want a labbed prop with all of the benefits of a prop with a lot of cup and I think this is asking too much out of any prop repair/tuner.

One other thought some prop repair/tuner people use an MRI scan to compare blades and props. Once the repair is complete you get a blueprint of your favorite prop no more guess work if you were to throw a blade or twist one you could have a copy made or repaired right back to what you had.
If you don't like the results of the prop work I think the MRI gives a better baseline to work off of so it can be dialed in to obtain your goals.

Rookie 06-16-2005 10:11 AM

Last year my props were blowing out when I would come on plane. It was a ***** to get on plane in rough water. I took my props to the local shop and he informed that my cupping was washed out on my older props. (25p Quicksilvers) He asked what RPM I was running now. 5250-5300 @ 71.3mph. He said that he would put more cupping back in but it would probably knock down my R's 200-300, and then we would thin the blades to bring back up the R's. (labbing?)

So at the start of last year I picked up the props early so I could have them for Memorial Day. He had added the cupping but had not got to the labbing. I told that I would bring them back later. well adding the cupping knocked down the R's to 4900-5050 @ 69mph. I ran them like that all last year and returned them this spring. He thinned the blades and my R's are now 5300 @ 72.7mph.

I gained about 4mph @ cruise when I added the cupping and thinning.

Price $78/prop for cupping and repitching to original 25, and $25/prop for thinning. $113/prop total. and props are balanced before thay leave the shop.

Well worth the $$$

BajaRunner 06-16-2005 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rookie
Price $78/prop for cupping and repitching to original 25, and $25/prop for thinning. $113/prop total. and props are balanced before thay leave the shop.

Well worth the $$$

Who was that with? I have yet to see anyone under $250-$300/prop.

Rookie 06-16-2005 03:10 PM

West Michigan Propeller in G.R. MI. I don't know if it was good work or not but he told me my problem (washed out cupping), told me his plan of attack (add alot more cupping), told me the results that would happen (I would lose R's 200-300), then how he would remedy the loss of R's (thin the blades to get me the RPM's I desired or until he thought the blades would not hold structural integrity).

I got exactly what I asked for, and the boat has not never planed again. I got caught before in 3-4 footers and had a he LL of a time getting on plane 3 miles out on lake Michigan. NOT FUN!

formuladude312 06-16-2005 09:04 PM

Went from 4800 rpms to 5100 rpms 70.4 gps to 74.6 gps labbed and polished 30 pitch bravo 1's no more blow out at full trim