Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Att: New Hampshire Boaters

Good luck tonight guys. Kick AZZ....
Old 06-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How did the meeting go? I was stuck at work till after 6, so my wife went with our 2 young girls just to sign in as opposition. She said there seemed to be quite a few people in support of 162 that she could see, but she could not stay long at all. If somebody could post a summary that would be great.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Registered

Yes, can someone recap last night's meeting?????
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Registered

Was It Good or Bad??
Old 06-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Registered

Hola Compadres...

I went to the meeting last night, and I think it went fairly well. The NHRBA folks(myself included) basically presented facts and statistics. The Winnfabs crowd spoke with emotional rhetoric and anecdotal stories.

Here is a link to the article in todays Laconia Citizen & Union Leader and Concord Monitor

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...085/-1/CITIZEN

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_...?article=57043

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...506300311/1031

All in all I think it went pretty well. Now we need to get ready for round II. Make sure you tell all of your Jet ski and cruiser friends, because they are next if this bill passes. Please join NHRBA and help us out.

Woodsy

Last edited by jollyroger; 06-30-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:51 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a very large turn out of the sailboat community last nite and the emotional testimony was flowing.
We heard many stories most beginning like this :

3 years ago an out of control boat came at us....back in 1974 my grandson was almost killed...in 1986 a speeding drunk driver came within inches... we almost got swamped by a boat that came with in 20 ft... I want the lake like it was in 1932...its so crowded on week-ends...who needs to drive that fast?..

The chairman of the committee asked for facts though got few if any that would justify implementing a speed limit. Every single incident that was relayed about dangerous boating is already covered by existing laws; right of way, no wake , headway speed within 150 ft of others, driving while intoxicated and so on.

When a speaker from our side spoke of facts; declining death and accident rate over past several years, implementation of the boating certificate, studies by the coast guard - no deaths (or even an accident I believe) in past 5 years in the state attributed to a speed over 45mph.

If an outsider were listening in and asked to make a decision based on the facts heard, its unfathomable to believe they would take more than a instant to vote against it. I came prepared to take notes of interest from their testimony and came away with none. Do they believe a speed limit would change any of their experiences with bad boaters? At some point we all come across a boater with little regard for anyone but themselves, much like we encounter on the public roadways.

Even with testimony lacking any facts - those of you expecting everyone else to do the work and you to continue boating - your in for a rude awakening. While many there left before the end, I left at 10:00 - they were very vocal. (they'd like to make us out to be the wild cowboys and not once did we erupt into applause or hoots and hollers after a speaker, they did so continuously even though told show no support or displeasure by the chairman)
I drove 1.5 hours to and from and hope more of you do the same next Wednesday, July 6th at 7:00pm, Kingswood High School, 296 South Main Street, Wolfeboro, NH . The committee is made up of an older segment of our population to say the least and need to see more of us there in opposition to the bill. You do not need to speak, sign the petition and act respectful.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:26 AM

Stayed till about ten last night and did not hear one fact presented by those who suport the bill , just a bunch of flamed up stories . I think one of them was from twenty years ago , what a joke!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CMG
those of you expecting everyone else to do the work and you to continue boating - your in for a rude awakening.
You can say that again Chris. Everyone should come to the Wolfeboro Hearing with their best arguments. I could not make it to any of these because we play softball on Wednesdays, but I am there with you in spirit. All of us from the team had a friend sign our names on the sheets. I heard we made excellent points last night and they had nothing but rhetoric about "almost" being run over and "near" misses.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Registered

There's a post on "the other site" claiming we won.
Any details?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:40 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by speedstick
You can say that again Chris. Everyone should come to the Wolfeboro Hearing with their best arguments. I could not make it to any of these because we play softball on Wednesdays, but I am there with you in spirit. All of us from the team had a friend sign our names on the sheets. I heard we made excellent points last night and they had nothing but rhetoric about "almost" being run over and "near" misses.

Speedstick / fasterthanthou - I thought you were kicked off OSO? go away and sail your boat.

Quick Reply: Att: New Hampshire Boaters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.