Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Florida Laws Regarding Drinking & Boating? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105660-florida-laws-regarding-drinking-boating.html)

chuckbeecher 06-15-2005 05:14 PM

Florida Laws Regarding Drinking & Boating?

Are there some new laws stating you can not have ANYONE consuming alcohol while on the boat or while boat is underway?
While at the Glasstream plant in Panama City last week they mentioned some Senator(state?) helped pass a law to that affect. I understand that no one should be drinking and driving, but could these people at the factory have gotten the facts confused.
Let us know..returning to factory shortly for progress report.

ATPatrick 06-15-2005 05:24 PM

Re: Florida Laws Regarding Drinking & Boating?

I'm sure it has to do with manatees somehow.

OldSchool 06-15-2005 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ATPatrick
I'm sure it has to do with manatees somehow.

Now that is funny right there!!!! :D :evilb: :D :evilb: :drink: :drink:

Python82 06-15-2005 06:22 PM

Talked with Texas Game Warden today because I had heard the same thing here. He said that the law had not changed.

It is UNLAWFUL for any Person to:

Operate while intoxicated (loss of mental or physical faculties, or blood alcohol content of .08 or higher)

That that means that I can't even operate my boat sober???

CAP071 06-15-2005 06:39 PM

I was charged with a boating dui once at .03 after a day in jail and 2K in fee's I beat it but the cop said Oh well we just got to you a little late You were probably drunk earlier in the day :rolleyes:

Dean Ferry 06-15-2005 07:31 PM

Craig,
Your right, that is some funny chit! :D :D

Now back to the matter @ hand, I have not heard anything about it, but I will investigate and report back w/ my findings.
Agent Ferry, over and out! :drink:

Donzi Corleone 06-15-2005 07:53 PM

Last I heard, as long as you operating the boat without incidents(too fast,too close,all over the ICW) YOU CAN RUN ALL DAY WITH A BEER IN YOUR HAND EVEN AS YOU WAVE TO THE COPS. Seen it done around here and not even a second look by law enforcement.

CigDaze 06-15-2005 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead
Last I heard, as long as you operating the boat without incidents(too fast,too close,all over the ICW) YOU CAN RUN ALL DAY WITH A BEER IN YOUR HAND EVEN AS YOU WAVE TO THE COPS. Seen it done around here and not even a second look by law enforcement.

Those are my experiences as well.

The operator can not be intoxicated, but drinking is permitted.

onesickpantera 06-15-2005 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by CAP071
I was charged with a boating dui once at .03 after a day in jail and 2K in fee's I beat it but the cop said Oh well we just got to you a little late You were probably drunk earlier in the day :rolleyes:

For a .03!?! :eek: How could they even arrest you for that? Did you find out where that cop lived? :D

florida gator 06-15-2005 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead

I have actually cracked a beer while being searched by Game & Fish. If that is a law, it just passed this session. And, I would be very surprised if we wouldn't have heard about that hear from someone.

NaplesBaja 06-15-2005 08:51 PM

There have not been any law changes in Florida. Driver has to be sober, but passengers can drink. Lowest B.A.C. for a conviction in the state of Florida is .05, but then the officer would have to prove that the operator was intoxicated (video) or it would be difficult for a conviction under .08..

Cash Bar 06-24-2017 07:09 PM

This would be totally impractical in a state driven by boat and marine businesses. HTF would you tell someone they can't drink on their yacht even though there is a crew of professionals running the thing? No difference than me being captain on my Skater and my passengers trying(LOL) to drink while we were cruising.