Notices

To go old school...

Old 06-17-2005, 07:56 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default To go old school...

If you wanted a heavy wave crushing boat what are your options?
To buy an older cig mistress or flat deck would be one way to go, but as someone has said, those boats need constant care and maintainance. Would you agree?

And to repower one w/ say... konrads and a pair of V10 Ilmors should add to reliability. And then what, maybe a re-rig? And who would you trust to do the right job on this work?

I know this would not be a rocket. Mid to Upper 70s would be fine w/ a cruise of 45-50 easy. But it sure would be a comfortable ride.

There is alot of experience on this board, and thought the opinions could be invaluable.
What would you say are the best ways to go about doing this?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: To go old school...

The only reason it would be a constant problem would be if you bought a POS, or didn't fix things correctly. Some people buy boats they can't afford to maintain properly and use chitty parts to replace broken ones.

You could buy a nice old flat deck with some good motors (that someone reputable has cared for, not Jim Bob's auto center) TRS drives, and have a worry free machine. The only thing "old" would be the hull, and that's no problem. I had a 76 28ss that I ran constantly and was worry free besides oil changes and putting gas in it.

Just look for an anal owner out there like Too Old and I wouldn't worry about anything.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Have I got a deal for you!!! Special price...This week only!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-5348.html

A 3500 cruise is right around 50 mph with a top speed of 83.

Maintenence??? Oil and drive fluids every 25 hours and a yearly spark plug, cap and rotor change.

As far as little things going wrong, I think that has alot to do with if the boat has been cared for the right way. I keep my boats inside with a full cover on 'em. If you let them go....you will pay for it in the long run!!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
a top speed of 83.

Maintenence??? Oil and drive fluids every 25 hours and a yearly spark plug, cap and rotor change.
For the love of god Craig, could you at least use a Black Wix Racing oil filter rather than that Cheeto looking Fram???

Old 06-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you know what I did Rob 85 flat deck, new motors, big drives #3s, and survey to the 9s. So far happy as a clam. Can't say something won't go wrong, but hey you kknow the deal with that on ANY boat. My 85 is not complicated, not a lot of fancy options, but it will do everything you describe above and so far has exceeded all my expectations on ride stability and comfort ... AKA wave crusher boat

Hook up with the right old classic, for the right price and re-power, re-rig, re-drive might not be necessary ... immediately ... or might have been completed already ... there's one out there with your name on it.

Don't get me wrong, if money was no option ... a 2006 TS TG 525s XRs would prolly be in the backyard, but with the limited fixed options I (you) seem to be working with .. Wouldn't have done it ANY OTHER WAY ((Tomorrow (NYC PR) should be worth every penny I've got into it too ))
Old 06-17-2005, 08:15 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Chris, I'll be at LL early...hope to see you there.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Chris, I'll be at LL early...hope to see you there.
By land or sea?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
For the love of god Craig, could you at least use a Black Wix Racing oil filter rather than that Cheeto looking Fram???

Those Fram Racing filters are $19.95 a piece and the colors compliment my valve covers!!

Don't let the fact that it's a 31' boat scare you. It's still the same size as a 38' Fountain and is a true "Wave Crusher"!!!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:40 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Guys! I'm looking for info, not in the market for a while.
Even thought I'm(as the rest of us) are always looking, I'm not sure what kind of boat my next will be... depending on my needs.
Its just someone yesterday said these boats need alot of care and I didn't quite agree.
Sorry if I got some hopes up.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

I'd get a Mistress.

Quick Reply: To go old school...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.