Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Re: LOTO Boat Wreck......6/17/05

The crew in Speed Racer had theirs on this weekend
Attached Thumbnails LOTO Boat Wreck......6/17/05-jacket.jpg  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree about the life jackets. Lifejackets are MANDATORY at the Scope Poker Run and the Havasu Poker runs
Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The day I got my license when I was 16, I drove myself to two funerals of kids I grew up with, and knew since Cub Scouts. One died in a car wreck.

The other died in a freak water skiing accident. When he went down, the life vest slipped up over his arms, and pinned is arms above his head. He was basically held under by the vest that was supposed to save him.

Very sad to hear about all this.
Invest in and use the right equipment.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
Who ever ran the LOTO poker run last weekend sure did not push jackets, I don't believe it was the club. If you look at Jetson's pictures I could not see one life jacket on anyone, most people were spralled out on their seats like they were at the beach I am glad your new club will promote saftey that might help the reputation of the OS down there.
Hi, Donna. So sad. Hope CPC's Chicago Poker Run has that requirement. We bought those auto/manual inflatables (embroidered by Cigarette) three years ago when we ran the Poker Runs of America sponsored Indy Poker Run. They were comfy enough. Nothing more unnerving than the start of a run......it's more like a race, with boats of all sizes and speeds throttling up at less than 40-50 feet distances between them. I'm usually praying! Really....
Old 06-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Banned

I wish our club required life jackets on poker runs. Then I wouldn't have to fight with Debbie about it. The first run I ever drove in, the only person I had trouble with wearing a jacket was her. I told her she had two options. Wear the jacket, or stay on the dock. I think there was only one other boat in that run wearing them besides my crew.
Attached Thumbnails LOTO Boat Wreck......6/17/05-aerial.jpg  
Old 06-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Banned

And as far as kill switches, last week Deb and I were running in the river in the Donzi, mostly doing about 35, still I made sure I wore it, and she did to when she was driving. Yeah, no jackets.

I lost a freind year before last that didn't have a kill switch on. He was in a bass boat doing about 30, reached down to grab his cell phone, hit the wheel with his belly, turned the boat sharply, and was ejected. The boat ran off, circled, hit another passenger in the boat, severing his arm. The passenger said he saw my friend treading water for a while, but he drowned while all the attention was focused on the runaway boat.
Attached Thumbnails LOTO Boat Wreck......6/17/05-6-14-007-small-.jpg   LOTO Boat Wreck......6/17/05-6-14-049-small-.jpg   LOTO Boat Wreck......6/17/05-6-14-050-small-.jpg  

Old 06-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Registered

This is sad news and this may act as a wakeup call to all of us! HOPEFULLY!
Old 06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Registered

FYI, from the Lake Sun Leader:

Boat wreck, death under investigation
Boating accident at the 16-mile marker claims the life of a 25-year-old Garland, Texas, man

By Joyce L. Miller/Lake Sun
Monday, June 20, 2005 11:16 AM CDT

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - A boating accident at the 16-mile marker that claimed the life of a 25-year-old Garland, Texas, man remains under investigation, according to the Missouri Water Patrol.

Divers using sonar recovered the body of Christopher W. Plummer Saturday near the 15-mile marker on the main channel in approximately 58 feet of water.

Plummer's body had been missing since Friday afternoon when he was thrown from a boat driven by Carl Esrey, 38, of Dallas, Texas.

The accident occurred near the Lake of the Ozarks Community Bridge between the 16 and 15 mile markers. The boat was headed toward Bagnell Dam, according to reports.

Plummer is the first boating-related fatality on Lake of the Ozarks this year.

According to the Water Patrol, Plummer was thrown from the 2004 36-foot Catamaran Spectre when it hit a wake and became airborne.

Witnesses of the accident later told Water Patrol officers the boat came out of the water with the bow pointing up and back down on the stern.

When the Water Patrol arrived, the boat was partially submerged with the bow sticking out of the water.

Esrey and another passenger had managed to stay with the boat. Two large airbags were attached to keep the boat from sinking.

The Catamaran Spectre is a high-performance boat.

The preliminary accident report says the boat was traveling at a high rate of speed when it hit the wake. The report did not say how fast the boat was believed to be traveling.

Esrey apparently tried to grab Plummer when he started to come out of his seat but was unable to get a grip on him before the boat jerked to a stop. The report did not say if Esrey managed to shut the throttle down or if the kill switch killed the engine.

Esrey was taken to Lake Regional Hospital with moderate injuries. The second passenger on the boat, Ashley Merriman, 20 of Benton, Texas, was not injured.

The Water Patrol spent Friday evening dragging a quarter-mile area searching for Plummer. The search was called off at dusk but resumed early Saturday morning when the Missouri Water Patrol Dive Team arrived.

Water Patrol Captain Mike Smith said rescue operations got underway early Saturday with the dive team using sonar designed specifically to locate bodies in deep water. After several hours of scanning the bottom of the lake with the sonar, divers were able to pinpoint the location.

Fire boats with dive teams on standby from Osage Beach, Sunrise Beach and Lake Ozark fire protection districts assisted with dragging and recovery operations.

"Without the help of the public and several businesses who went out of their way to assist, we would not have been able to run this recovery operation on a Saturday with the amount of traffic that passes through that area," Smith said. "The sonar is very accurate but needs relatively calm water to do its job. We shut the area down to no-wake. We asked passing boaters to slow down so we could try and get an accurate location on the body. Under the circumstances, we couldn't have asked for better cooperation."

Smith said passing boaters were warning approaching boats to slow down and stay as far back from the area as possible.

Port Arrowhead Marina provided an area for the Water Patrol to set up rescue operations. That made the operation easier to coordinate, he said.

"Under tense circumstances, it was refreshing to see that type of support," Smith said. "We even had a restaurant in Osage Beach deliver food to the officers so they could stay on the water and keep working," Smith said.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Registered

Wake Up Call? When Was The Last Time You Didnt Here About A Boating Death? Especially A Death With No Pfd. When Will It Sink In!

It Will When Someone You Know Dies Or Gets Hurt Baddly In A Boat Accident.

Lead By Example Period. :d
Old 06-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad but like Cuda says most don't wear them or even belong to a club that requires you to wear them in a poker run.

But still this is so old. I bet most people still won't wear them. I bet you at the NYC run they weren't wearing them. So honestly. we are all adults. If they die and weren't wearing them why should we feel sorry for them? I stood on the dock at Key West last year watching all those 100+ mph boats pulling in with empty beer cans and no PFD's being worn so really who are we kidding.

Last edited by CAP071; 06-20-2005 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: LOTO Boat Wreck......6/17/05

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.