Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Loto Vs The Great Lakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/105926-loto-vs-great-lakes.html)

phughes69 06-19-2005 11:58 PM

Loto Vs The Great Lakes

I dont mean to be condecending to anyone who boats on Loto but why is there such a big buzz about it? I looked at the map of it and it looks like it is only a couple miles wide on average. How long is it? I usually boat on Lake St Clair and hope to get up to Lake Huron and Lake Erie this year.

Buddy OO 06-20-2005 12:30 AM

Re: Loto Vs The Great Lakes

1500 miles of shoreline, more powerboats than any inland waterway, can own waterfront property, thousands of million plus homes on water, hundreds of waterfront bars and restaurants, 4 star dining, outlet mall, airports, every store and restaurant chainm party cove with over 3,000 boats . there is no other lake in the us like it period. close to st. louis, kansas city. just so much to do and great people. come on down and see us. ask all your grand lake friends why they all come up to loto. huge party lake/

MarkSmith 06-20-2005 12:30 AM

You can boat for about 90 miles without stopping.
1200+miles of shoreline.
Bars and restaurants: 80-100+
Party Cove: 1000-1500 boats tied up everyweekend and .......
Many marinas, resorts, condos, boat dealers,.......................................... ...............

If you never have been there, go to the shootout. Powerboat Heaven.

JaayTeee 06-20-2005 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
If you never have been there, go to the shootout. Powerboat Heaven.

You got that right :cool: :D

WARPARTY36 06-20-2005 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one good reason :D

Wally 06-20-2005 10:45 AM

Mark hit it right on the money.....and the 90 miles he speaks of is on the main channel....not counting all the little coves and branches off the sides to go and explore! Its very easy to get lost there at night if you have not been there before :D A GPS or a local girl are handy to have with you at night :D :D :D :evilb:

fund razor 06-20-2005 12:26 PM

Having grown up on the great lakes....

It would be strange having only pleasure craft, no shipping traffic, no big ships, no international borders. No seaway. I guess that it would be cool in an inland lake sort of way.

So... can you go out in the middle where you can't see any land or any other watercraft? Can you cruise to distant cities?

Are there two hundred plus years of shipwrecks to dive?

Islands to visit?

What kind of things are there to do?
(I mean in addition to party.)

Cord 06-20-2005 12:26 PM

Make the shootout. You'll be changed. Then go to party cove. You'll never bother launching on the Great Lakes again.

BajaIceBreaker 06-20-2005 01:20 PM

I think LOTO is awesome!!! Nothing like it on the planet. But, there's nothing like Lake Erie either. Or St. Claire. They are all different and the best. On the Great Lakes, you can go wide open at 2 AM without worrying about hitting another boat, or shoreline!!! If you want to be the only boat on the water (for nude sunbathing, or sex, or whatever) you can find that easily. If you want to party, race, poker run, swim, you can do that on Lake Erie.
If you like crowds, and crowded water, I think LOTO is getting that way. Crowds of parties and multitudes of stops for food and drink. LOTO!!!
I have never been there either. I want to go like no tomorrow, but it does seem crowded and small. So I see where Fund Razor is coming from. Then again, Sandusky Bay can get pretty crowded too.

Sean H 06-20-2005 01:37 PM

i wouldn't say LOTO is small or crowded, is it narrower than a great lake? sure, it's nothing but a damed up river. I kinda like being able to see both sides of the lake at any given time, but there is plenty of room to run whatever you got whenever you want to. There are plenty of coves to go hide in if you want to be by yourself and there is nothing else like it as far as on the water entertainment goes.. that all being said, i am pumped about going to smoke on the water in a few weeks too.. :D but i might be a little biased.... :D :evilb: