Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What oil in a 496? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/106240-what-oil-496-a.html)

wantacat 06-23-2005 11:22 PM

What oil in a 496?

Just had my boat serviced and they used mobil synthetic 10 30. Is that recommended? Can I change it back to mercurys 25w40 without any proplems? synthetic to non synthetic...thanks

FOUNTAINATLAST 06-23-2005 11:26 PM

Re: What oil in a 496?

10w30 is too low you need at least Mobil 15w50 or 20w50 v-twin oil is optimum. I would change back at the very least to get 40 weight back into your motor, I would still recommend mobil one though. Look through the tech page you'll find numerous post from Hydrocruiser on good marine appliction oils.

Outdrive1 06-23-2005 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by wantacat
Just had my boat serviced and they used mobil synthetic 10 30. Is that recommended? Can I change it back to mercurys 25w40 without any proplems? synthetic to non synthetic...thanks

There's alot of posts and I agree, use the V-Twim Mobil 20/50. I dont recommend any of the other Mobil sythetics over it and I wouldn't put Merc. oil in my motor either.

wantacat 06-23-2005 11:31 PM

Will it hurt to run the 10w30 oil until my next oil change? Then change to like a 40w mobil synthetic?

FOUNTAINATLAST 06-23-2005 11:36 PM

I wouldn't suggest it. That weight is pretty low, I had a friend lose a motor using 10/30. He to thought it would be fine, not so!!!

Outdrive1 06-23-2005 11:38 PM

Will it hurt to run the 10w30 oil until my next oil change? Then change to like a 40w mobil synthetic?

I couldn't say, everyone here just had opinions, but that viscosity is pretty low, That's why most guys run straight 40 w or Mercs 25/40 or even better the 20/50 from the V-Twin. I would suppose in a stock motor, 25 hours isn't going to kill it with that oil but I personally wouldn't run it more than a few hours until you have the time or resources to change it out.

wantacat 06-23-2005 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST
I wouldn't suggest it. That weight is pretty low, I had a friend lose a motor using 10/30. He to thought it would be fine, not so!!!

So at this point i just picked my boat up yesterday and have not used it. I think I will just go back to using what mercury recommends, their 25w40 but will there be a problem switching back to a non synthetic? I also did not know the shop was using 10w30 until i picked up the boat, I got home and looked over the paper work.

Outdrive1 06-23-2005 11:45 PM

So at this point i just picked my boat up yesterday and have not used it. I think I will just go back to using what mercury recommends, their 25w40 but will there be a problem switching back to a non synthetic? I also did not know the shop was using 10w30 until i picked up the boat, I got home and looked over the paper work.

I've used both in mine, you get better protection with the Mobil V-Twin, no other synthetic has all the anti wear additives that it has. You will not hurt anything by switching back and forth, you will just not have the protection or anti wear additives when you are running the conventional oil.

Outdrive1 06-23-2005 11:46 PM

I wouldn't make a big deal about it to the shop, they may have another opinion. Every one has different ideas, so I wont say that they are wrong. I just have a different opinion.

wantacat 06-23-2005 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
I've used both in mine, you get better protection with the Mobil V-Twin, no other synthetic has all the anti wear additives that it has. You will not hurt anything by switching back and forth, you will just not have the protection or anti wear additives when you are running the conventional oil.

Got it! Thanks for your help I will change it asap, cheap insurance.