Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Loto Chopper Crash (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/106331-loto-chopper-crash.html)

Ron P 06-25-2005 05:53 PM

Loto Chopper Crash

Did anyone get photos of the chopper that crashed in LOTO today.

Jamie Russell was shooting photos of Speed Racer when the chopper got too close to the water and went in. No one was hurt but Jamie lost all the film and his cameras.

Photos would be great if anyone got them.

BlownRat 06-25-2005 06:14 PM

Re: Loto Chopper Crash

Sounds terrible!

Hope everyone is OK!

This sport cannot take these "weekly" hits.

It seems we make headlines a lot!

Spine Tingler 06-25-2005 08:44 PM

I was at MTI and Randy got the call. After the shoot of SPEED RACER the guys went to shoot pictures of the Black Thunder Poker Run and something went wrong. Glad to hear that everyone is OK!

gdfatha 06-25-2005 09:02 PM

Ron

There was a short feature on one of the news channels that showed a helo losing it's tail rotor. I just saw the tail end (no pun intended) and they stated no one was seriously injured. I do remember it was a blue chopper though..

If I see it again I'll do some video captures for you.

If it was yours I hope the report of no serious injuries is true.

Ron P 06-25-2005 09:15 PM

I spoke to Jamie.

He's a lucky man. He was first shot down in a chopper in a rice paddy in Vietnam. That screwed up he knee pretty good. Now this one. Who else do you know that's survived two chopper crashes?

This was a Robbie 22. The smallest chopper made. Two seats and a gas motor. He said the pilot was young and would swoop down to three feet off the water, Jamie wanted to be at 20 feet. He said on the fourth time, he could tell they didn't have the power to pull up. The skids hit first and over it went. Luckily the doors were off and they got out with a few broken ribs and some cuts. The chopper and $20,000 worth of camera equipment is now in 85' of water.

Now you know what he goes through to get those great shots.

Jassman 06-25-2005 09:31 PM

I am just glad that no one got sertiously hurt.

Anarchy Powerboats 06-25-2005 11:58 PM

Thank Christ for no major injuries...........

Phantom1 06-26-2005 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm pretty sure this is an R-22, and it is definitely small. I'm glad everyone is alright.

jeaston 06-26-2005 08:28 AM

Glad everyone is ok. 20' is about as low as you want to go, 20 to 30 gets some good shots and gives a little room for adjustment. 3' is insane, waves are that tall.

H2Xmark 06-26-2005 04:49 PM

Jamie lives about 70 miles from me and I had talked to him on the phone last Tuesday about looking at some pics he had of my Fountain, he told me about the photo shoot with Speed Racer and said he would be in town the next weekend[4th of july] glad to hear he was not hurt. He was in a Jet Ranger shooting photo's for the TOPPS poker run only a couple weeks earlier, I just hope that pilot learned something about all this
Mark Rush