Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jobbie Nooner goes on

Did anyone head out there?

Despite warnings, Jobbie Nooner party goes on

PUBLISHED: June 25, 2005

By Amanda Lee
Macomb Daily Staff Writer

The biggest boat party of the year went off after all.
Advertisement

Despite concerns the party would be moved to another location, more than 600 boats swarmed Gull Island in Lake St. Clair on Friday afternoon to participate in the annual Jobbie Nooner beach party.

"We haven't had to arrest anyone yet, but we do anticipate continuing to patrol the island later (Friday night)," said Machinery Technician 3rd Class Vernon Liggins of the U.S. Coast Guard in St. Clair Shores. "Everyone's been pretty quiet."

Despite some mid-afternoon worries regarding a private helicopter that got stuck in the water while trying to land near the party, most visitors to the island reported a relatively quiet afternoon. The helicopter later took off again and no one was hurt.

Earlier in the day, another private helicopter crashed in Clay Township. All four occupants survived and the two incidents weren't believed to be connected.

"Everyone was on their best behavior," said Tom Lacroix, who returned to Mount Clemens to pick up more supplies before heading back out to the island. "I know everyone was really worried that things weren't going to go off but everything came together at the end so that's good."

Earlier this month the future of the party was in question when a nonprofit group obtained a permit to ban revelers from the small island from Thursday through Sunday. The We Are Here foundation said they planned to have their own people on the island in a massive cleanup effort.

Earlier this week, however, organizers of the cleanup rescheduled to Monday after they received death threats.

"I think it's just a matter of time before we're barred from the island but I'm going to keep enjoying it as long as I can," said Dean Danes of Harrison Township, who attends the party every year. "It's my favorite time. It's an all-night party that's for sure."

The Jobbie Nooner has become synonymous with alcohol, drugs and nudity every year but this year officials said the revelry remained on an even keel.

"As of now, there's nothing to report," said a dispatcher with the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department's Marine Division.

The Associated Press contributed to this report
Old 06-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Registered

Default Re: Jobbie Nooner goes on

Yep, good party!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like there's always a group of knobs trying to kill a good party.

Glad the party goes on.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered

The Jobbie Nooner has become synonymous with alcohol, drugs and nudity every year ...................

uhhh, Im failing to see a problem here..
Old 06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

When I read this part I was thinking maybe masher had something to do with keeping it going

"Earlier this week, however, organizers of the cleanup rescheduled to Monday after they received death threats."
Old 06-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Registered

The only problem I could even imagine would be running out of beer

I just checked their web site too, and there's already 2400 pictures from this years party. When I looked at about 7:00 this morning there were only 50

Someone was thinking here
Attached Thumbnails Jobbie Nooner goes on-normal_dscn0308.jpg   Jobbie Nooner goes on-normal_image021.jpg